Chapter 6: Wilt

I played hooky the next day. Heck, who needs school. I mean, I doubt I'll ever have to know "how many apples John bought for a dollar and 6 dollars was his total" in the real world. So I pulled on a black sweatshirt and pulled up the hood. It shrouded my face as I walked down the street. My mom and Frank were out I thought, so I was free. I ran to the park. I sat on a bench and watched runners wiz past me, sweaty and tired. I stood up and decided to walk along the path. I hummed a song and kicked an old can. Suddenly I felt a hot puff of air on the back of my neck. I got chills as I turned around.         

"Dad?" I asked, horrified. There he was, wrinkled clothes, unwashed and not shaved. My father.

        "Where did you go? You're supposed to be at school..." He raised his eyebrows. I groaned. How did he know I was here?

        "Look, Frank. I think you're drunk. Why don't you go home and go watch football." I said putting on a fake smile. He narrowed his eyes at me.

         "No...you have to go to school." He said. I was mad, why does he even care?

        "Since when do you care about me, Frank?" I hissed. Pain flashed across his face but he just clenched his teeth together.

        "Why do you even continue to come back just to walk away a month later?" I was shouting now. I could hear people who were sitting near us walk away. I was furious. "Why do you hate us so much! Just leave us alone! " I screamed. Frank looked down.

        "I just don't-"

        "No Frank. Don't give me another sad story. You left us, so stay away. You made your choice. I-I never want to see you again!" Everything happened in a blur. Before I knew it my hand made contact with his face and I slapped him. A black mark was left on his face. He screamed and clutched his cheek. I backed away, horrified.

        "I just wanted to say that I don't want you to become like me." My dad whispered.

        "J-just leave me alone." I cried. I turned on my heel and started to sprint. What happened? I risked a look behind me to see people crowded around him. Someone was on their phone probably calling the police. I don't even know what happened! I- I think I might've hurt him badly. But I only slapped him! I looked down at my hand to see my black swirl glowing on my palm. I gasped and nearly face planted. Tears blurred my vision and I stumbled away from the park. Suddenly I heard the sirens of the ambulance blaring close by. I screamed and ran in the other direction. I knew I needed to get out of here, but where? Alaska maybe...

        I didn't look back, I just stepped into the airport. I hugged my suitcase close to my chest and walked to the desk. I shoved my hand into my sweatshirt pocket. My face was still red from crying. I was so scared, I could've killed my dad. What had I done? I shook my head and got in line to pay for my ticket. I stole money from my dad. I felt guilty but it didn't matter now. Finally it was my turn.

        "Hello, one ticket to...um....Alaska please." I handed him the check.

        "Uh, aren't you a little young?" A man asked with a smug look on his face. I rolled my eyes.

        "I'm just short." I lied.

        "You have to be 18 or older to go on a plane by yourself." He snapped.

        "I am." I said.

        "I don't think so." he said.

        "It's okay she's with me." An old woman said walking over to me.

        "Grandma!" I ran into her arms. She wore a black hat that covered her eyes and a turtle neck and long pants with gloves.

        "Wilt, how long has it been, a year or two?" She asked cupping my face in her gloved hands.              

 "Three I think!' I hugged her again. The man handed me the ticket and I thanked him. "Grandma, something awful has happened." I looked down ashamed.

        "I know." She knelt so I had to look her in the eyes. She pulled off her glove revealing a black swirl like mine, glowing. I took mine from my pocket and showed her mine that was glowing as well. I gasped.

        "Now go. I, Jazlene, will do anything I can to help you." She said poking me in the stomach. I smiled. "Thank you!" I said. Suddenly a voice called me to my plane. I frowned.

        "Goodbye." My grandma whispered. I blew her a kiss. "I love you!" I said. Then I boarded on the plane.