Chapter 44: Aqua

I sat there, looking at Wilt, then Crystal who had returned, then Cryptic. That was really awkward...
        "Well then...now that we've gotten that off our...chests...why don't we go back to saving the world?" I suggested. Wilt rolled her eyes. "I agree with Aqua." she said. Crystal glared at her. Yup, that was so awkward.
        "Here's an idea. Why don't we go to sleep, I for one, am very tired." Cashmere said.
        "I agree with Cashmere." Crystal retorted. God, help me.
Cashmere started a small fire in an alley way, that way we can stay warm in the concealment of the night. I looked up at the stars and silently prayed. Cryptic took first watch, so I laid down. Cashmere was already out and snoring. I kicked her and she stopped.

        "Aqua." Cryptic shook me awake. I cracked one eye open. "Whaaaaat?" I grumbled. "You've got second watch." he said. I sat up. It was already that late? I sighed and rubbed my eyes. I sat myself next to the fire.
        "Can I ask you something?" Cryptic asked. I shrugged. "If you must."
        "Does Wilt like me?" he asked. He blushed slightly, but it was hard to tell. I had to stifle a laugh.
"Heck yea. You're just to blind to see it." I snorted.
        "But if she likes me...then why is she so mean to me?" he asked. Wow, boys are dumb.
        "Okay, first thing: never try to figure a girl out. Secondly, maybe it's because you're flirting with Crystal like it's an Olympic sport." I snapped. His eyes widened. "I was not flirting!" he shrieked. I shook my head in disappointment. I cleared my throat to imitate his voice, "Oh no, it was AAALLLL you. Don't underestimate her!" Cryptic's face fell and he muttered a curse under his breath.
        "Yea. You messed up bad." I put a hand on his shoulder as a friendly gesture. "Look, if you want my advice, I say you tell her how you really feel. My guess, is that she'll feel the same way." I said. He paused. The fire sent a flicker across his face. He looked up at me and tucked a lose strand of his hair behind his ear.
        "You think it'll work?" he asked hopefully.
        "If I know Wilt like I think I do, then yea." I said. "Maybe get her some flowers too, because you screwed up big time." Cryptic smirked. "Thanks Aqua."
        "No problem."

In the morning we got up and I put out the fire. Looking down, I found a huge problem. Actually, make that two.
        1. I was completely dirty.
        2. My clothes were ripped up.
"Guys. We can't just walk into a hospital looking like this." I said, twirling.
        "She's got a point." Crystal said.
"Ugh, are we going shopping?" Cryptic moaned. We all grinned. "Yes!"

        I had bought teal skinny jeans with a pink floral top with pink converse to match. Wilt got all black clothes with leather boots and a leather jacket. Crystal had gotten a baby blue sweater and black tights and grey boots. Cashmere grabbed cargo pants, boots, and just a white shirt. We also hit a hair salon and guess what? Cryptic got his hair cut! Instead of a messy bob hair thing, he now had saggy bangs. Wow, he looked good.
        "You ready now?" he asked, sighing. We had used Cashmere's gold to buy this stuff. "Yea, we wasted enough time. "Wilt said. So we're off to the hospital to try to save the world. What else is new?

        The hospital was a few blocks away so we just walked. Cryptic and Wilt were walking in the back so I couldn't help but over hear their conversation.

        "Hey." Cryptic said nervously. Wilt glared at him and didn't reply. Hang in there Cryptic.
        "So...anyway. I was wondering if we could talk?" he said as he rubbed his hands together in a nervous state.
        "There nothing to talk about." Wilt shrugged him off.
        "Actually there is." he said. She glanced up at him with confusion plastered all over her face.
"I just have to say something." he closed his eyes and took a deep breath. "When I first met you in my cave, I knew you were different. I never really had any contact with humans before but I feel like we bonded right away." he paused.
        "Yea we really bonded when you passed out an spewed black puss on me." Wilt said, but I could tell she was nervous.
        Cryptic laughed. "See, that's what I mean. You joke around and you can make me laugh. I hadn't laughed in over three years...and then you came along in your jean skirt and skull tights. Wilt, what I'm trying to say is that-"
        "You want to borrow my skull tights?" Wilt guessed.
        "No I-"
"You want to borrow my jean skirt?" she was just playing now.
        "No Wilt! I love you!"
        The smile was smacked right off of Wilt's face and she looked down, but kept walking. Cryptic's shoulder hunched over in disappointment. "It's okay, I'm sorry. I should've just gone back to Alaska when you told me to. But I had to tell you before I left but- I got this for you." Cryptic handed Wilt a red rose. She held it in her hands as if it might jump out and bite her. Cryptic sighed and started to walk away. Wilt grabbed his hand.
        "Why?" she finally whispered. Cryptic smiled sadly.
        "Because you're different."
At that moment I walked faster to give them privacy, but a smile was spread across my face. Yay Cryptic! He didn't chicken out like I thought he might. I swore I wouldn't tell anyone, that was their news to tell that they were officially a couple.