Chapter 84: Aqua

Time had no meaning as I stood there, frozen. My eyes widened as Wilt killed the crazed woman. "Goodbye." I thought I heard her say. I didn't know why Wilt had passed out back there, but she seemed much better now. I met Cashmere's gaze, she looked just as scared as I was. Wilt must've been the most powerful, her grief pushed her harder than the rest of us. If I didn't know any better, I'd think Wilt was a threat.
        "Let's just find the generator and get out of here." Crystal said as she stood up with wobbly legs. We all agreed. Cashmere fingered a prism necklace that I hadn't notice before. I tucked my hair behind my ear and rubbed my arm. I followed Mac down the hall. For some odd reason, Mac didn't seem shaken up by the fact that we had powers, in fact, she acted as if she had already known and was excepting it, which was crazy.

I turned down an empty corridor and ran into someone. The boy knocked me to the ground and my friends froze behind me. Mac sucked in her breath as I slowly rose to my feet.
        "I'm so sorry." The boy stumbled over his words. Wilt balled her hands into tight fists. I motioned her to stand down.
        "It's alright." I replied, eyeing him up. The boy was possible a year older than me, blonde hair and bright vivid crystal eyes. Something about the way he looked at me was...unsettling. He looked a bit upset and off.
        "Are you sure you're okay?" he asked. I pursed my lips.
        "She's fine, I'm fine, we're all fine. Let's go." Mac said, clearly bored. Wilt grinned.
        "I, for once, agree with you." Wilt and Mac walked past us and Crystal and Cashmere followed. I glanced at the boy once again before leaving. Suddenly the boy reached out and grabbed my wrist tightly. I froze. 
        "We're on your side." The boy whispered. What the heck does that mean? Who is we and how does he know..no he can't know...

Blake Rissue's words burned into my mind from earlier. How he'd seen us on the news. But who could possible know what was going on here? I didn't even know what was going on!

I jerked my arm away from the boy.
        "Let go of me." I hissed. The boy seemed like he wanted to say so much but all he did was press his lips together. I walked off quickly, ducking my head so I didn't have to meet anybody's questioning looks.
        "What the heck was that?" Wilt asked. I shook my head and glanced back at the boy but he wasn't there anymore.
        "I'll explain later." I said.

I shuffled down the hallway, dragging my feet. Wilt asked me if I was okay and I just nodded, then shook my head.
        "No. I'm not." I said honestly. Wilt smiled sadly.
        "Once we destroy the generator, we can go home." she said. My thoughts drifted to my poor grandma.
        "Yea...home."

After going down all the hallways and glancing inside of all the rooms, we found nothing. Crystal groaned.
        "This is so stupid." Wilt hissed.
        "There's only one place we haven't looked yet." I said. "The basement."
        "Oh come on! Why do we have to go to the creepiest place?" Cashmere muttered.
        "Don't we need a security key to get to the basement floor?" I asked. Mac nodded. Then Crystal grinned.
        "Well then, let's get ourselves a key."

____________________________________

Meanwhile at Aqua's house...

Aqua's grandmother's hands shook as she tried to cut an apple. She gave up quickly and held her head in her hands, sobbing. Her frail body shuddered as she cried.
        "Oh Aqua..." she whispered, lower lip trembling. Aqua's grandmother walked out of the kitchen and into the bathroom. She dried off her face and walked into the living room where the TV blared on. She sat own in her chair and started knitting to take her mind off of things. She regretted ever sending Aqua away with that girl. She was probably dead from the virus. Unless...no, it couldn't be. Aqua never new she had powers. She never would, the power is overwhelming and she's not ready for it. Aqua's grandmother was safe from the virus, immunity coursed through her veins from the old effects of her powers that she transferred to Aqua.

That other girl with Aqua was probably dead, too...when Aqua's grandma went to the dock to pick them up, she realized the horrible truth of their disappearance. She called the police but they couldn't do anything.

Aqua's grandma set down her knitting and looked over at the photo of Aqua and her son. She was all alone, everyone she'd over loved was dead. Suddenly the TV flashed in huge letters:

BREAKING NEWS!

A woman reported spoke, squinting because of the snow.
        "Even more super natural occurrences have happened her in Washington DC!" she said. Aqua's grandma narrowed her eyes at the screen. "It seems that four girls are...are...I don't know. Just watch this video." It was a fuzzy video of five girls, but only four used powers. Wait, powers? The table was only four of five minutes long of girls running through the White House, shooting snow, light and darkness out at the infected. But then she saw her. Aqua. Her grandma whispered, "Oh no..."