Chapter 33: Cashmere

I woke up in a hospital bed. What had happened? The last thing I remembered was being in a taxi with people around me. I had been in the taxi with...Aqua! Where was she? Was she even alive? My thoughts were interrupted when the door opened and a man walked in. he cleared his throat and said, "Hello. My bane is Dr. Shep." He flipped through his notes on a notebook.

"What happened? Why did I black out?" I asked. "We sedated you in order to calm you down." he said. "We also need to draw blood to test you for the virus." he said. "You need to rest. I'll make this fast." he picked up a needle. I closed my eyes as he pushed the needle into my arm. I winced. I looked up and saw my blood going through a tube, then I blacked out.

When I woke up, my vision was blurry. "H-hello?" I asked. I looked around. Then I realized something: I was alive. And I wasn't crazy. How had I lived this long? I wanted to find out, but it didn't matter. I was still going to die. There was no way around it.

After about an hour, the doctor from before came in. I gave a sigh of relief when I saw he wasn't carrying a needle. He looked shocked when he saw I was awake. "How...," he cleared his throat, then said, "You're awake. Are you hungry? You haven't eaten in over twenty four hours." I nodded. "How long have I been here?" I asked. "About a day." he replied. Oh.

"We have not yet completed the tests, so we are not yet positive you have the virus. Just to be safe, we need to keep you in isolation, which is where you are now. No one is allowed in or out of this room except for me...which means I'll probably get the virus." he explained. "Um, I was wondering...do you know where my friend, Aqua Mist is?" I asked. He nodded.

"Really?" I asked, feeling a spark of hope. "Yes. She's nine rooms over." he said. But then I remembered that she had the virus, too. What if she was already gone..? "How is she?" I asked. He didn't answer for a long time which worried me. But eventually, he said, "fine for now." What the heck did that mean? Was she going to die soon? Was she dying now? What was going on? "You'll see soon enough." he said. What? What was that supposed to mean? WHAT WAS GOING ON?