Chapter 10: Wilt

I stuffed my hand into my pocket. I'm finally off that blasted plane. 7 hours. I wasted 7 hours of my life on that plane. But now, I'm free. I pull on my gloves that I packed and went outside into the cold Alaskan air. I sighed and smiled. Yup, I could get used to this. Well, I guess I don't have I choice. I've only got a bit of money so I can't go back home. I'm on my own. I can't believe it though, I did it. I ran away from home. My smile widened. A 12, soon to be 13, year old girl ran all the way to Alaska. I pulled on a hat and started walking, where to- that is unknown. I'll let you know when I get there.

Turned out the directions I got from a man I literally ran into where right. I walked into a place where you can rent a snowmobile. How cool is that? I pulled my jacket closer to my body and pushed through the door. The man also told me there was a house for sale and that apparently it is empty, exactly where I want to go. A family named Winterbrook or whatever owned it, but they're moving to Florida. What a climate change for them. I handed the guy some money and he told me to get onto the snowmobile. I put my bags in the back and hopped on. The man sat in front of me and I held onto his shoulders.

We were cruising when he suddenly stopped. "This is as far as I can go." He said with a thick Irish accent. "What! You're going to leave me?" I asked. He sighed. "Look, honey- I've got a dinner date in 2 hours that I can't miss. Now off!" He threw my things into the snow and then kicked me off. "What! Oh I am so calling your boss." I hissed at him. "I feel so threatened." He rolled his eyes. "The house is up a ways, you'll make it there tomorrow." He said. I scoffed at him. "You're kidding right?" I asked. He answered me by spraying snow in my face as he sped off. "I-you- COME BACK!" I screamed but he was already gone. I groaned and stomped my foot after I stood up. "I have a dinner date in 2 hours." I mimicked in his voice. "Well he can just-" I cut myself off and just shook my head. No use in using bad words. What am I going to do? I stranded all alone, in the cold, IN ALASKA! I pulled off my gloved hand to reveal the back swirl engraving in my hand. "Grandma, if you knew I was in trouble before, please know I'm in trouble now." I whispered. Suddenly my swirl began to glow and a trail of darkness grew in front of me leading a trail to somewhere. I grunted. "I didn't think that would work." I muttered. "Well I should probably follow it if I don't want to be a Wilt Popsicle."I grumbled as I tripped and fell, face first into the snow. I pulled my head out of the snow bank and gasped. "Cold!" I cried. I tried getting the snow out of my shirt but it didn't work. I shivered and picked up my bags. I put my glove back on and followed the back mist. I swear I'm going crazy.

Hours passed and the light flurry that was going on before, turned into a raged blizzard. "This is just great!" I screamed as the wind took my voice away. I squinted but all I could see was white. Well, I hope that guy has a nice time on his date, since it coast me my life! I trudged forward trying to make good time. "Why does this house have to be in the middle of nowhere?" I complained as my teeth chattered from the cold. Who could bare to live here, no wonder that family moved away. "Great, I'm talking to myself." I whispered. I picked up a hand full of ice and ate it. My nose runs from the cold and I wiped it away. I can't believe I could be so naive! I'm only 12 years old! 12 years old!!!!!! I was so stupid to think I could run away. Now I'm going to die and no one will know where the heck I went. Thanks a lot Grandma.  Tears streamed down my face and froze on my cheek. Suddenly I longed for my grandma's cookies. Mmmm, with the melted chocolate and the- stop it Wilt, you're hungry enough.

I trudged through the snow some more until I collapsed into the fluffy, cold arms of the snow. My vision began to blur and the cold numbed my fingers. Then a dark figure nears me, coming quickly. "Help..." My voice cracked. Then everything went black.

My eyes opened. Where am I? I sat up and nearly flew off of the sled. I grabbed onto the side of the sled and screamed. "Oh, you're awake." A girl said slightly turning her head. She stopped the dog sled and sat down next to me. My vision started to blur again so I closed my eyes. "You okay?" She asked. I nodded and held up a finger that said- give me a moment. She wrapped a blanket around my shoulders and I then notice a dog on the sled that was losing a lot of blood. I took off the blanket and laid it onto the dog. "He doesn't have much time." I blurted out. I covered my mouth. How did I know? She nodded. "I know, I need to get you both home." The girl said. She had her chocolate hair in two long braids and a blue hat on her head. I nodded. "Yea, where is 'home' exactly?" I said. I pointed. "Up this hill, we're almost there, just hang on." She said. She started the dogs up- if that's what you'd say- and then we were off. The dog whimpered and I laid a hand on his fur. I've never liked animals, but I hate when they're in pain. "I'm Crystal." She said over the roaring wind. I looked up. "I'm Wilt." I said. "Will?" She asked. "No, WILT." I called out. She paused. "Oh." I know what she's thinking. Who names your kid that? I get that a lot. "That's an interesting name." She finally said. I grunt and shiver. "So, how'd you get here?" She asked. I blinked and shielded my eyes from the snow. "Um, well. That's a long story. I'll tell you later." I laughed. "Here we are." Crystal said slowing the dogs down. Crystal hopped off and put the dogs away. She then pulled the sled into the shed and scooped up the injured dog. "What happened?" I asked her. Crystal paused. "A bear." She replied. Oh. "Wait a second. Are you Crystal Winterbrook?" I asked. She nodded. "How did you know?" She asked. I shook my head. "Like I said, I'll explain later." When she opened the door I threw off my jacket and she set the dogs down on the table. When she pulled away the blanket there was no wound. She blinked at me. "What did you do to him?" She asked me. I shrugged. "What are you talking about?" I replied. "This dog was dying, he- he...this isn't possible." Crystal whispered. The dog sat up and licked her cheek. She laughed. "Well, whatever, as long as Strike is okay." Her voice trailed off. "Well, let me show you around my home."