fifty-nine

season 11, episode 10 - the beds too big without you

ALLISON LET A SIGH ESCAPE HER LIPS, as she laid down on the examination bed inside the O

ALLISON LET A SIGH ESCAPE HER LIPS, as she laid down on the examination bed inside the O.B. room. Jackson stood beside her, caressing her hair gently. Allison placed her hand on top of her belly, and Jackson placed his hand on top of hers for comfort. Dr. Martinez entered the room and greeted the couple as she placed the cold gel on top of her belly as she did the ultrasound.

"That's your baby." Dr. Martinez pointed to the screen causing the two doctors to take a look, "In some cases like yours Anencephaly can be missed in the first trimester. He has an absence of cranium, the fetal head looks like a lemon."

"Shouldn't Dr. Matthews be doing our ultrasound?" Jackson questioned the O.B in front of them, since Dr. Matthews was their primary doctor. Dr. Martinez, wiped the gel off Allison's belly and nodded.

"Dr. Matthews is on leave, she got married two weeks ago." Dr. Martinez explained before changing the subject, "It is possible for your baby to be born prematurely and he could pass away before, during, or soon after birth, you can choose whether you like to finish the term or you could terminate."

"Did—did I do this to my baby?" Allison asked, looking at the O.B. She couldn't help but feel like it was her fault in a way.

"Absolutely not. This was a bad spin of the genetic wheel." Dr. Martinez explained, "You didn't do anything wrong. You're almost at the end of your fifth month."

Jackson looked at his wife, who looked at him. The two haven't discussed what they should do any further, but Allison knew what she wanted. She re-called what Amelia told her about her son. Allison looked at Dr. Martinez, "I want to donate my baby's organs, so he can save other babies."

Dr. Martinez looked at her she hesitated, "Dr. Avery—"

"I know that the law states that a declaration of brain death has to be made before procuring the organs, but my baby has no brain and it's illegal but I need something good to come out of this." Allison stated, "Please, let something good come out of this."

Dr. Martinez looked at Jackson, who nodded his head. She sighed and nodded, "Okay."

"Dr. Grey, and Dr. Karev will be part of the surgical team to do it." Allison said. She wanted her friends to do this, she knew they would do this for her. Allison's eyes welled up with tears as Jackson held her hand.

Allison and Jackson made their way outside the room, and sat on the bench by the Nurse's Station. He knew they needed a change of scenery, the hospital just stressed both of them out, "We could go to the beach."

"Can we just go back to the apartment?" Allison gently asked and Jackson nodded, the two walking out of the hospital. "Jackson, I know we didn't talk about what I said, and I don't want to terminate, I want to carry him in my arms when he's here and donate his organs." Jackson gave his wife a look, but she shrugged it off, "I want something good to come out of this, and I don't want to fight."