sixty-four

season 11, episode 22 & 23 - she's leaving home part one and two

YOU NEVER KNOW WHEN THE LAST TIME IS THE LAST TIME. Of course, if anyone ever knew that, they would have cherished the moment more, say all the things that need to be said, share one last hug, one last everything. You believe you have forever to spend the time with the ones you love, but sometimes life doesn't work that way, the worst goodbyes are the ones that we know we will never be able to say hello again.

Meredith Grey stared at her husband's body hooked up to ventilators and other machines—he's gone, brain dead. Meredith Grey believed she had forever with Derek Shepherd, to grow old together just like he promised. Derek got his forever with her, but she didn't get forever with him. Forever is a saying, a word and sometimes forever just doesn't exist.

Meredith knew what had to be done, but saying goodbye to the love of your life was the toughest and scariest thing she had to do—she survived a bombing, drowning, gun shooting, plane crash but none of that compares to the numb feeling she felt in that moment.

***

Owen walked inside the attending lounge as he began to put on his white lab coat and called out for Callie, who turned around to face him, "I need help on a hip disarticulation today. You want in?"

Callie hummed, "Oou, maybe."

Maggie lifted herself up from her seat and walked over to Callie, "You have to finish your story. So, you actually had to break his knee?"

"No." Callie shook her head, "So, I had to shove the rod back in there even harder, and it wound up cracking the tibial plateau." She turned to look at Alex, "Can I help you?"

"You're hogging the pot." Alex answered, eager to drink his coffee.

Meredith slowly walked inside, the numb feeling she felt earlier still lingering inside her. Everything felt different already.

"Maybe ask nicely." Maggie suggested, "Like a civilized human being. Callie?"

Callie turned to face Maggie, "Hmm?"

"May I have the carafe, please?" Maggie asked the orthopedic surgeon. Callie hummed and nodded handing the carafe over to Maggie as Alex observed, a scoff escaping his lips, "You see? It's quite easy actually."

Alex rolled his eyes, "I need coffee."

"Me too." Jackson spoke, walking inside the room and made his way to grab a cup.

"Hey." Maggie greeted Meredith, noticing her half-sister in the room, "I heard there was weather near Dulles. Derek's flight got delayed, didn't it?" Maggie continued on but Meredith just heard her distorted voice, "I hate that airport."

"Pierce." Webber walked inside the room, "My gallbladder guy's pacemaker keeps misfiring, you think you can take a look at it?"

"Yeah." Maggie nodded, "I could do it right now."