twenty-five

season 8, episode 16 - have you seen me lately

"65-YEAR-OLD WOMAN ENTERS THE E.R. IN SHOCK. Presents with a pulsatile, expanding abdominal mass." Jackson read out the card, "Go."

"Ruptured triple-A. I would take the patient straight to the O.R. and access the peritoneal cavity through a vertical midline incision." Allison responded.

"Nice." Jackson complimented as he stared at her for a few minutes as she concentrated on patients charts, while Alex and Meredith joined them.

"You guys studying for the oral boards in the middle of the day?" Meredith asked, as she walked up to them.

"Benefit of having a study buddy." April shrugged, as she updated the board, "You should get one."

"I have one, it's just that my stupid study buddy's too busy trying to save her stupid marriage to actually help me study." Meredith said, looking at the O.R. board.

"Well, you know what's better than a study buddy?" Alex asked them, "A study lackey. Check it." Alex whistled grabbing the attention of an intern.

"Trauma incident or a surgical situation?" Morgan asked.

"Surprise me."

"A 12-year-old boy fell off his bike, hitting his abdomen against the handlebars complains of progressive abdominal pain and is short of breath..." Her voice begins to trail off since Alex and her are walking away.

Hearing Jackson's phone go off Allison glanced his way, "What is it?"

"Sloan. 9-1-1." He said, before leaving the girls alone.

"Hey, if you want we could..." April motioned towards her, Allison and Jackson. Allison shook her head, knowing Meredith is going to refuse her offer.

"I don't need help." Meredith shook her head, "I'm an excellent surgeon. You know it, and I know it. Everybody knows it. I don't have to prove myself to anyone."

"Yeah, except to the American Board of Surgery." April told her.

Meredith sighed, "Yeah, there's them." Before walking away.

***

"I was paged." Allison said, as she made her way inside the radiology room, seeing Lexie standing in front of the monitors with someone else. "Amelia?"

"Allison, hey." Amelia smiled turning around greeting the girl with a hug, causing her to yelp in surprise. Allison hugged her back before Amelia let go and pointed at the scans. "Look at this tumor."

Allison walked up to take a look at the scans in front of them. It showed a large tumor, an inoperable one and a damaged carotid. "Amelia, this is an inoperable tumor."

"I can remove the tumor and the diseased carotid together. All I have to do is run balloon catheters in through the femoral, place them in precise position, inflate them to stop the blood flow, do two arteriotomies then feed a heparinized shunt into place and reestablish blood flow." Amelia explained.