thirty-two

season 9, episode 3 - love the one you're with

"DEREK SHEPHERD, MULTIPLE HAND FRACTURES WITH A MEDIAN NERVE INJURY

"DEREK SHEPHERD, MULTIPLE HAND FRACTURES WITH A MEDIAN NERVE INJURY. Arizona Robbins—open femur fracture with resultant above-knee amputation." The hospital lawyer spoke as she listed the accidents from the plane crash to the lawyer. Allison, Derek, Meredith sat there with Callie who was there for Arizona and Mark, and Owen was there for Cristina, who was in Minnesota. "Lexie Grey—deceased. Mark Sloan—deceased. This doesn't include extreme..."

Allison looked at the table in front of her as she thought about the plane crash, dozing off from the conversation before she snapped herself out of it, "...Wish for me to extend their deepest condolences."

"How is—" Derek began to ask, "How is the investigation going?"

"Have they found what caused the crash?" Meredith continued.

"The investigation could take years." The company lawyer answered, "That's why we want to help you put this tragedy behind you."

"I think you mean, your clients would like to put it behind them." The hospital lawyer corrected.

"So I am authorized at this time to propose a onetime settlement." The company lawyer passed a piece of paper over to Allison, "Bayview Aeronautics takes your loss seriously." Allison looked at the paper before passing it to Derek, "Now the settlement agreement must be unanimous, and it releases Bayview Aeronautics from any and all other claims, known or unknown, but...most important." Derek handed the paper to Meredith, "—It will allow you to put this painful time behind you and move on with your lives." Callie got the paper before passing it to Owen, who raised his brows before passing it to the hospital lawyer.

***

After the plane crash, Derek, Meredith and Zola moved to the house Derek built for them, Meredith offered Alex to sleep at her old house for a while. Allison has been staying in a hotel, Jackson kindly offered her to stay at his place but she respectfully denied. Staring up at the ceiling she sighed, should she settle? I mean that's a lot of money, but what would she do with it?

Her phone rang, she sighed before reaching over to the bedside table, her phone lit it up with Micheal's name across the screen. She sighed once more before declining the call.

***

"Hey, Alex." Meredith got Alex's attention as she walked inside the attendings lounge seeing Allison and Bailey sitting around the table."Why did an intern just give me a compliment on the crown moldings in my empty house? Are you still sleeping there?"

"Chicks like it better than the on-call rooms." Alex shrugged causing Allison to scrunch her nose in disgust.

"That's gross."

"Now I have to get the place tented." Meredith shook her head, sticking out her hand out, "Give me back my key."

"You don't even live there anymore." Alex sat down at the table with a bowl of cereal, "What do you care?"