thirty-six

season 9, episode 12 - walking on a dream

"OKAY FOLKS. LET'S JUST START." OWEN ANNOUNCED AS HE LOOKED AT THE STAFF, he walked up the stairs and stood on the second step clearing his throat, "As many of you know, Seattle Grace Mercy West has suffered a financial setback. The administration is working hard to keep the impact of the setback as small as possible. Tp that end, we're gonna have initiate some cost-cutting measures. The board has hired a physician advisor to help."

"What's a physician advisor?" Meredith asked from her seated position at the Nurse's station.

"Well, she consults on maximizing efficiency, streamlining processes, assessing where we can trim our budgets." Owen responded.

"Who to fire and when to fire them?" Dr. Bailey joked, opening her juice bottle.

"She's here to advise and help. I was hoping to introduce her in person," Owen looked at his watch, "But she seems to be late."

Allison rose a brow as Cristina spoke, "Oh, on her first day?" She looked around, "Not very efficient."

There was laughter after Cristina's comment as Owen continued, "You can expect to see her in the halls, in your labs, in the O.R."

"So we're gonna have an accountant following us around in the O.R's?" Allison asked, raising a brow.

"She's not an accountant. She's a trained surgeon. Frankly, she is here to help us." Owen nodded, "Thank you for your cooperation."

***

"Jimmy." Derek greeted as he walked inside the room, Allison and Jo behind him, "Hey, Carla. How are you?" Derek greeted her with a hug.

"Please tell me you're still not married." Carla joked, eyeing the neurosurgeon.

"Ah, afraid so." Derek chuckled.

"Ignore my sister. No boundaries." James told Allison and Jo.

"You think they care?" Carla told her brother, "Unless one of them is the wife?" She looked at both Allison and Jo, "One of you the wife?"

Allison chuckled, "No, you're in the clear with the both of us."

Derek examined James pupils, "Are the headaches still bad?"

"He can barely get off the couch, he's so dizzy." Carla spoke for her brother, "Meanwhile, I have to wait on him like he's the boy prince."

"Warms your heart, doesn't she?"

Allison looked at their intern, "Wilson, what are some of the other symptoms of an acoustic neuroma?"

"Hearing loss, increased intracranial pressure, tingling in the face—"

"And being a giant pain in my ass." Carla interrupted Jo, looking at her brother.

Derek turned to look at Allison, "This is Dr. Carter, one of our Neuro fellows, she's one of the best, she's going to be doing the surgery, I'll be watching. and assisting."