eighteen

season 7, episode 19 - it's a long way back

"PULSE IS 102." ALLISON INFORMED DEREK. Today is Allison's turn for the clinical trial, so she and Derek are inside the O.R. with their patient.

"Are you nervous, Ed?" Derek asked the patient seeing his heart rate increase as well.

"Yeah, it's kinda like going to the dentist, only worse." Ed chuckled.

"Well, this is gonna be over before you even know it starts." Derek informed him, as a scrub nurse enters with a yellow folder, "Dr. Carter is gonna do the drill now. You're not gonna feel anything, though."

The monitors began to beep rapidly making Allison turn off the drill. Derek walked forward so he can face their patient, "Ed, try and relax, okay?"

"I can't." Ed grunted.

"Okay, stop." Derek spoke up, "Let's get the halo off. He's having an M.I."

"Flatline." Allison said, as Derek rushed to start compressions on Ed as the scrub nurses bring in a crash cart. "What the hell happened?"

***

Their 122nd patient, Ed, died of a certain heart condition causing Derek, and Allison to stand by the nurses station. Meredith joined seconds later, head sing the news.

"His E.K.G. was fine?" Webber asked as he met the two doctors, once he was informed.

Allison nodded, "He never complained of chest pain. I did the workup. There was nothing in his history."

"It wasn't your fault." Derek assured Allison, "It was a massive M.I. After we inform Mr. Beckert's family, I will call the F.D.A. and file a formal report."

"Is there a chance they could shut down the trial?" Meredith asked her husband, concern laced in her voice.

"It doesn't matter. I'm gonna shut it down, pending the autopsy. I wanna know why we didn't see it coming" Derek let out a sigh.

***

Cristina came up with a plan so Callie could see her daughter, Sofia. So there they were rolling Callie's bed towards the NICU, Allison and Alex in the back while Cristina and Lexie were on the right side, and April and Meredith on the left and Jackson in the front.

The group came to a sudden stop when they heard Dr. Bailey's voice. "Back, back, back." Jackson whispered.

Jackson went to go distract Bailey so the doctors could pass her, and they did. They stationed in front of the window as April and Alex went inside to show Callie her daughter.

"We'll give you some privacy." Meredith spoke up, as the others nodded and backed away a little.

***