thirty-eight

season 9, episode 15 - hard bargain

THE RAIN AND LIGHTNING WAS SEEN OUTSIDE OF MEREDITH AND DEREK'S HOUSE AS Callie informed them her experienced in Portland Gen, the hospital her and Richard Webber went to go see since Pegasus bought their hospital

"I'm telling you, once we got these doctors talking, it was a horror show." Callie spoke to the group.

"Shh." Arizona shushed her wife, as she walked towards the group, "I just got Sofia back down."

"Oh, and uh, Portland has quotas now." Callie continued, in a lower voice, "Yeah, it's unspoken, but it's understood that you have to churn out a certain number of procedures."

"And no research?" Meredith asked, looking at one of the brochures.

"Nope." Callie shook her head, "Pegasus is only interested in high-volume, high-price-tag procedures. Barely any patient interaction. So no research, no innovation, no opportunity to do what it is we got into medicine to do."

"Well," Derek answered as he passed the brochure to Allison, "We won't let that happen to us here."

"Oh, yeah?" Callie scoffed, "That's what they said at first, and then the people that fought, management got them fired, and the rest wore down or they left." Allison looked at Derek and then back at Callie who continued talking, "Now I don't want to leave. None of us do, you guys, come on. We have to do this. We have to buy the hospital."

"Whoa." Derek's eyes widened, "Hold on."

"Maybe she's right." Meredith shrugged, agreeing with Callie.

"Just wait." Arizona shook her head, "What if we don't want to?"

"What?" Callie frowned at her wife, as Meredith continued to call Cristina, since she was the only who wasn't present.

"I'm sorry." Arizona said, "It's never been my dream to run a hospital."

"Okay, well, you might not have to run it." Callie tried to reason with her.

"Cristina should be here." Derek commented, as he, Meredith, and Allison watched the couple argue.

"I've been texting her." Meredith said, eyes now glued to her phone.

"I just got back to work." Arizona pointed out, "And Derek, you just got your hand back, don't you just want to work?"

"Work where?" Callie asked, "I don't want somebody telling me which patients I can and can't treat."

Allison agreed, "Or putting a stopwatch on how much time you can spend with them."

"Yeah." Callie nodded, "If we ran the place, we could make policy decisions based on experience. Do y—"

Derek shook his head, "Uh, no offense, but that is a naive way of putting it. The job is much harder than you think. I wanted it once, and I hate it. We should stay the course. I made a deal with pegasus that apparently will help the sale."