sixty-two

season 11, episode 18 - when i grow up

IT'S BEEN A MONTH AND TWO WEEKS SINCE ALLISON AND JACKSON, lost their son

IT'S BEEN A MONTH AND TWO WEEKS SINCE ALLISON AND JACKSON, lost their son. They Avery's spent their time wallowing in sadness and just comforting one another when they can. The first two weeks, Allison just stayed in bed, she felt nothing but numb, but later on she managed to get up and just stay home with her husband.

Allison was tired of how Jackson looked at her like she would break any second, but nevertheless she let him take care of her as she did the same with him. The two going through the sadness together, sometimes Catherine will pop up and take care of her son and daughter in-law.

Allison grew tired of just staying home and doing nothing and she could tell Jackson was tired of it as well. The two deciding it was time to go back to work. Apparently when Derek came back he was not just coming back for Allison and her baby, he came to fix his marriage. Meredith kept taking shifts wanting to ignore her husband because a woman had answered his phone but before that Derek had explained to her why he came home.

Jackson had gone back to work seeing as he had a case to continue to work on. Allison sometimes covered a few shifts but she just ended up back home most of the day, she sometimes went to visit Derek and the kids but she felt like she couldn't stand seeing him with kids when hers didn't get to live but nevertheless Allison wouldn't miss a time to be with her niece and nephew.

Another week had gone by and Allison decided it was time to get her head back in the game, she needed to do work and maybe when the time was right, she and Jackson could try again. She felt like she was ready, she would never forget her son, but she felt like it was time to move on—even if it'll be hard, but step by step, she and Jackson will heal.

Allison walked up to Derek and smiled, "You're back, like actually back, right?"

"It looks like we're both back." Derek said, the both of them slowly walking down the hallway, "The Neuro dream team is back."

Allison lightly gasped, "You just—"

"I did." Derek nodded smiling, at the small smile that began to form on his best friend's lips. He hasn't seen that smile in awhile, and he only hoped she was healing and getting to enjoy her life like she once had.

The two came to a stop seeing a group of kids. Webber gestured for them to talk to the kids causing the two to smile down at the kids. Allison smiled, "That's Dr. Derek Shepherd and I'm Dr. Allison Avery, I am the head of the department of neurosurgery, and that means I operate on...brains."

"Cool!" The kids exclaimed and Allison nodded.

"It's very cool, actually, because we fix the big squishy, slimy computer that runs your whole body." Allison pointed to her head, "If the brain goes, everything goes."

"It is the coolest." Derek agreed.

"Dr. Shepherd and Dr. Avery are members of the board and he—"

"I'm also a neurosurgeon." Derek nodded before gesturing to Allison, "I work for her."

***

Allison put on a trauma gown, and made her way inside the E.R. room where two policemen were shot. Allison put on her gloves and glanced at the doctors inside the trauma room, "What's the story?"

"Traumatic arrest." Owen announced, "Down for fourteen minutes."

Allison nodded, bringing out her small flashlight and gently opened the man's eyes and shook her head, "Pupils are fixed."

"No."

"We lost him?" Maggie asked her, hoping she heard Allison clearly. Seconds before Allison walked inside the room, they had a heartbeat and now their patient was gone.

"No corneal reflex, either." Allison put away her flashlight and looked up at them, "I'll do a formal exam in six hours, but someone needs to prepare the family. He's most likely brain dead, I'm sorry."

"We lost him." Owen muttered.

***

Allison was paged to check on a patient for post-op, and she walked in and saw Mrs. Gibson with her other son—Brett. She took out her flashlight and gently opened the man's eyes so she could check his pupils. 

Allison held in a breath before glancing at the mother, "I'm so sorry, Mrs. Gibson. Brett's gone."

Mrs. Gibson held in a breath, she didn't know she was holding and exhaled in a shaky breath. "I knew this could happen."

April sympathetically looked at her, "I'm afraid Brett suffered a large stroke during surgery unfortunately it's not uncommon."

"In this case, the damage was very severe, and it resulted in a brain death." Allison lightly explained, "Mrs. Gibson, there was nothing anyone could do."

"But his hand is still warm in mine, his heart's beating. I can see his breath." Mrs. Gibson sniffed, lightly caressing her son's cheek, "I woke up this morning the mother of two perfect children. Happy, proud, and now...I just don't understand."

"I'm very sorry, Mrs. Gibson." Meredith gave her condolences.

***

Allison walked inside the morgue where April had informed her Jackson was making the police men perfectly good so their mother could see them one last time. The brunette Avery lightly squeezed her husband's shoulder. "Hey, April told me you were down here."

"This is taking a little bit longer than expected." Jackson nodded, his hands moving the instruments lightly and perfectly.

Allison glanced down at him, "Are you okay?"

"Yeah. I'm fine." Jackson quickly glanced up at her before his eyes went back to the patient he was working on, "This is totally something Sloan would've done."

"Yeah." Allison lightly smiled thinking about their late friend, "He really did treat you like a son and passed everything on—I mean, Plastic Posse."

"It got a little goofy sometimes but I want to do that." Jackson explained, "You know, pass it on to someone, the way he did for me." Jackson shrugged his shoulders, "Whatever. I don't know if I'm making any sense."

Allison wrapped her hands around his shoulders and gave it a squeeze, "It makes a lot of sense."

"We're getting through it babe, right?" Jackson asked her. Allison softly nodded.

"One step at a time."

Losing your child is hard, not seeing them grow up, to say their first words, or go to any of their sport games. At first your body hurts, your brain becomes foggy and you feel like you're trapped inside a tunnel full of grief. So how do you keep going? How do you not just sit down and give up? Sometimes it's easy, sometimes you play games in your head. You make up someone, you make up different scenarios, something good. Whatever you need to keep on going.

salvattrre speaks...
so i know i didn't show them grieve their son hence the one month and two week time jump, so they're going back to normal slowly but at the same time not that slow. so idk i feel like it sucks and it's all over the place.