eleven

season 7, episode 5 - almost grown

"I HAVE GREAT FAITH IN YOU. GREAT FAITH." Dr. Webber said as he looked around at each resident that were gathered in the locker room. "I can because I chose you, I trained you. I've watched you work. I know what you can do. That's why today is different. The training wheels are coming off, people. I'm throwing down the gauntlet today."

"Navy scrubs?" Allison asked, as a nurse handed her the scrubs. She also watched different nurses handed the scrubs to fourth year residents as well.

"Attending scrubs." Webber added, "You are attending today. Run cases, take point, but don't be a fool. If you get in over your head, cry uncle. Until then...congratulations, you've just been promoted."

Allison smiled as she looked at Jackson who smiled wide as well.

***

"Ms. Radigan, you're still having these headaches and ringing in the ears?" Jackson asked as he put his pen away inside his lab coat pocket.

Allison and Jackson are under Derek's service so they are the ones taking charge on the patient while Derek observes.

"All day long. It's driving me crazy." Ms. Radigan responded, slightly chuckling.

"It's caused by a buildup of fluid in your skull. So what we will do is insert a shunt, and that will relieve the pressure on your brain." Allison explained to her.

"What do you mean, 'we'?" She asked eyeing Jackson and Allison before she looked at Derek. "You're doing the actual tube part in the brain, right? N-not them."

"Excuse her. She's a schoolteacher. She talks to everyone like they're hiding gum behind their back."  Ms. Radican apologized to Jackson and Allison.

"That's all right. She can ask questions." Derek nodded, "Dr. Carter and Dr. Avery are residents. They're very talented one of them will be performing the procedure and I will be observing."

"A trainee cutting into Ellie's brain? No."

"I know it sounds like a leap, but these doctors study and assist for years. At some point, we have to let them operate. That's how we make new surgeons." Derek explained.

"Let them learn on someone else."

"Who, someone's who's too scared to interrogate the doctors? They have to learn on someone might as well be an old lady." Ms. Radigan told her friend.

"You're my old lady. This should be my call."

"I won't let them move a muscle without my direction and approval." Derek assured.

"You're a teacher, Joanne." Ms. Radigan said, "Let the kids learn."

"She's my life. She has been my life for 40 years. Do you hear me?" Joanne told Shepherd.