forty

season 9, episode 17 - transplant wasteland

ALLISON QUIETLY SIPPED ON HER COFFEE, AS SHE LOOKED AT ARIZONA, who turned around to face them as she went to take a seat, "Jackson Avery really has a bigger say than any of us in running this hospital?"

"That can't be true." Cristina commented as Arizona passed one of the folders, "Can it?"

Derek replied, "Well, he's a voting member of the management team and the Harper Avery Foundation."

"And their 175 million bucks." Callie sighed, as she sat down next to Arizona.

"As opposed to our 15 million a piece." Arizona sighed, while Allison kept her opinions to herself, feeling the obvious drift between the board members and Jackson.

"According to Stan, not only does he have the deciding vote, he can veto ours."

"This is ridiculous." Cristina sat down next to Allison, "He's a fellow."

"So are you." Meredith reminded her.

"But he's a plastics fellow." Cristina corrected, "And I'm me."

Allison spoke up, "Well, let's not overreact. I mean, it's Jackson. He's not some corporate stranger. He's one of us."

"No, you're right." Derek nodded, "He's a smart kid. He's gonna follow our lead."

"Yes." Allison nodded as she smiled at Derek, "He will—"

"No. No, we made this plan." Callie disagreed, "We pulled it together." She reminded, causing Allison to raise a brow at her, "Look, I'm grateful to the Harper Avery for infusion of cash, but I'm—I'm not gonna let some—-some..."

Cristina looked at Callie, "Plastics fellow?"

"Plastics fellow tell me how to run my service 'cause his mommy said he could."

"Preach." Arizona agreed as she flipped through the papers in their proposal. Allison looked at Derek who gave her a small shrug and an apologetic look—at least he tried. Allison sighed as she flipped the paper in front of her not believing how quickly they were switching on someone they know.

***

"Okay, so we agree that the Peds and adult E.R.s will be combined to save on personnel?" Arizona went over what they have discussed, without Jackson, who was running late.

Everyone agreed, as Jackson walked into the room with binders and pink box. "I'm sorry, guys." He apologized as he set down everything on the table, "I was running on time, and then my last round's patient turned into a crier." He smiled as he put the box in the middle full of donuts, "Pow."

Allison could feel the awkward tension inside the room. Deciding to fill him in, Allison spoke up, "We were discussing the reopening of the E.R. and the trauma department."