21.

•♡•♡•

EVERY HOUR ON THE HOUR, a different professor would reappear within the hall to momentarily check in on the sleeping students and the guarding older students

EVERY HOUR ON THE HOUR, a different professor would reappear within the hall to momentarily check in on the sleeping students and the guarding older students. Most of them talked in whispers — mostly endless theories and conspiracies of how and why Sirius Black had broken into Hogwarts. Long before naught, though, they had all faded into light snores just a couple hours into the long night. The prefects had stood guard like ordered, though, half of them were extremely drowsy and most were leaning up against the walls they were stationed at. Cedric and Rebecca were no different. From across the room, they could see one another's heads falling onto their own shoulders just to snap back up with half-lidded eyes.

"I can see you falling asleep," Fred's voice whispered lowly, making the Ravenclaw look downward into the darkness with squinted eyes, "you should probably just lay down already."

"I haven't gotten the go ahead," Rebecca murmured in return, rubbed at her eyes with curled fists before she was shaking out her limbs to try and keep herself up.

"Most of the other prefects have given in," He snorted, nodding towards the few that indeed had taken seats on the floor or were already snoozing, "it's not much a difference if you should too."

"It is different," She insisted tiredly, "we're by the main entrance," she rationalized, slumping against the wall, "should Black try—"

"Should Sirius Black try to go against Dumbledore's wards, and actually be able to even get through — you're practically asleep on your feet — he'll pass by you like a hot knife through butter," Fred stifled a laugh, tugging himself up to lean onto his elbows.

"Look, even Harry is asleep," He mused quietly, gesturing a few feet away where they could faintly see the outline of Potter's back by both Hermione and Ron, "Black is supposedly after him and he's sleeping like a newborn."

"Alright, but if I get yelled at by your brother, I'm owling your mum," Rebecca uttered, finally giving in and slowly shuffling over towards the empty sleeping bag Adrienne had saved for her by their little group.

"Better yet, tell her I was so kind and nobly took your place as a prefect — she'd weep," Fred chuckled, laying back down and tucking both his arms under his head.

"I'd happily give you the title of prefect," She let out a breath, slowly shuffling into the sleeping bag, "not like it brings me much joy anyways."

With suddenly nearing footsteps, they both quickly turned onto their sides, smothering faint smiles into their pillows to fool Percy into believing they were actually sleeping so they wouldn't get an earful. The Head Boy had given a slight sigh, seeing one of his prefects now sleeping, but remained silent as another set of footsteps approached.