04.

•♡•♡•

LET IT BE KNOWN that Rebecca Carrow was an awfully, shitty prefect right from the very beginning

LET IT BE KNOWN that Rebecca Carrow was an awfully, shitty prefect right from the very beginning. Unsurprisingly, of course – she already knew it in her bones the second she received the badge that they had only given her the position because she was fairly good academically. Though, she never really had a stop and good think about just how bad she'd be at the job. Firstly, she had shown up late to the prefect's meeting – simply because she had to use the bathroom and had let Cedric go on his own to save them seats – but, it only meant that she interrupted the Head Boy and Girl in their start-of-term speeches to the rest of the prefects the moment she stepped in. Additionally, she stood in the doorway like a lemon, caught in each and every stare; thanking Merlin himself she didn't have the ability to flush a bright red as others did.

And while the Head Girl was a Ravenclaw herself, Penelope Clearwater wasn't so keen on being rudely interrupted while she was 'laying it out' – especially by a member of her own house, that were supposedly known to be punctual. Surprisingly enough, it was the Head Boy, Percy Weasley, that had silently ushered the girl into a vacant seat down in the front row with nothing more than a disappointed look before he was turning away so he could address the group instead.

"Now then," The redhead clasped his hands once he finished his speech, a sort of proud grin spreading across his face; almost as if he got giddy, "is there any questions before your first rotation?"

The dead silence was enough to wipe the smile right off his face – the usual pursed expression immediately returning before Percy was turning and gathering a neatly stacked hoard of papers from the small desk at his side. He had sent out the copies of patrol schedules and routes, keeping the last two for himself and Penelope before practically shooing the group of prefects out of the compartment. Rebecca was slow to rise from her seat, hovering at the very back of the large group of now-chattering teens as they crowded and pushed through the single door of the compartment to exit. She was to patrol around the first years at the front of the train alongside Graham Montague, the Slytherin sixth year prefect – but the boy was far more interested in chatting up one of his housemates.

"Carrow," Penelope called out in a soft voice, catching the girl before she too could finally leave, "you can go ahead for now, I'll take care of Montague. He'll meet you there."

Rebecca only nodded, making a face that she hoped resembled a grateful look before quickly high-tailing it out of the empty carriage. In all honesty, she knew all too well that Graham wouldn't do such a thing like patrol first years – he wouldn't dare be a shoulder to lean on should a kid be upset or be an ear to voice problems to. So, as much as she wished to return to Adrienne to wait out Cedric's bathroom patrol, she pushed on grumpily towards the awaiting corridors at the front of the train. Rebecca moved as swiftly as she could, trying to reach her station before they reached the halfway mark of the trip to Hogwarts – she'd hate to be caught in the cross-fire of the crowds that came with the trolley cart of sweets. One time was enough to be more mindful.