29.

•♡•♡•

THE ENTIRETY OF THE CASTLE had been decorated with their usual Christmas spirit, despite having hardly any students to actually witness nor appreciate them

THE ENTIRETY OF THE CASTLE had been decorated with their usual Christmas spirit, despite having hardly any students to actually witness nor appreciate them. Thick streamers of holly and mistletoe were strung up along each of the corridors, lights shimmering and shining, and bouncing off the suits of armor lining the halls, and there were twelve large pine trees donning the Great Hall, each topped with glittering gold stars. Much to her surprise, on Christmas Eve, and during lunchtime, as Rebecca made her way down towards the Great Hall for a quick meal, she immediately slowed at the sight of all the house tables having been pushed aside.

A single table sat in the middle of the tiled floor instead, set for twelve. Almost like second-nature, Rebecca went to turn back around to escape the pending disaster of a lunch. Though, her presence was easily spotted and Dumbledore called out to her from his seat at the head of the table. Professors McGonagall, Snape, Sprout and Flitwick sat there as well, Filch by their side. Two first-years sat awkwardly by Snape, a sullen-faced Slytherin fifth year by Sprout, and then there was the Golden Trio – who had taken her by surprise. Seeing as all the other Weasleys had gone back home, Rebecca didn't expect to see Ron. Though, with a wan smile that had pleaded for her to save him, she could see that the lunch would be as bad as she imagined.

"Merry Christmas!" Dumbledore exclaimed, giving her a gesture to walk over, "come – sit down! Sit, and have some lunch!"

"Er – thank you for the invitation," She began slowly, giving a slight shake of her head, "that's very kind, but I have just remembered that I have to go do something."

"I'm sure Miss Bl–Carrow means well, Professor –" Snape drawled, his eyes focused and narrowed to the teen girl feet away.

"That's quite alright, Severus," Dumbledore gave Snape a firm look before turning back towards the doorway, "you go on – ah! Sybil! What a surprise!" his eyes shimmered slightly, suddenly flickering to the hunched woman behind the girl.

"I have been crystal gazing, Headmaster," Professor Trelawney stated simply in her usual whimsical and wispy voice, "and to my astonishment, I saw myself abandoning my solitary luncheon and coming to join you all."

"Who am I to refuse the prompting of fate?" She sighed wistfully, stepping forward as she tugged her green shawl tighter over herself, "I at once hastened from my tower, and I do beg you to forgive my lateness...."

"Certainly – certainly," Dumbledore said slowly, almost smiling in amusement at the woman, "let me draw you up a chair."

Rebecca, ever thankful for the save of the professor, moved to turn. Though, almost at once, her hand was seized and turned over. It took all her might not to completely rip out her hand from Trelawney's sudden grasp, a faint scowl curling at her lips as her palms began to itch and grow clammy.