62.

•♡•♡•

IT WAS ON CHRISTMAS MORNING – having spent the night within the Hufflepuff basement alongside both Adrienne and Cedric like years prior – that Rebecca woke up to her nose being toyed at and a feather dusting over the entirety of her face

IT WAS ON CHRISTMAS MORNING – having spent the night within the Hufflepuff basement alongside both Adrienne and Cedric like years prior – that Rebecca woke up to her nose being toyed at and a feather dusting over the entirety of her face. Groggily, she had peeled her eyes open, clutching the blanket beneath her chin tightly before she was forcing her eyelids to remain open to stare up at the culprit. Adrienne stood above her, grinning as she continued to prof at her friend's scrunched up nose.

"Happy Christmas," She beamed cheerily, ducking down slightly to squeeze and smush the Ravenclaw into a hug, "I've got breakfast – and on my way back from the Great Hall, I saw the slimy hag on her way out – practically having to be dragged out by her mum – wailing about how she didn't do it, and she swears and yadda yadda yadda –"

"Bet it was wonderful to witness," Rebecca uttered lowly, eyes narrowed at the mere mention of the brunette, "would've seen her out myself – a nice big boot to the back of her –"

"What a wonderful way to start Christmas," Cedric interrupted from his place on the opposite side of the couch, head barely lifted from it's spot on the armrest as he stated sarcastically, "yet another festive ode to violence."

"She was rolling her trunk out so miserably," Adrienne snickered, nodding wistfully, "I also might've hexed one of the wheels so it wouldn't roll properly –"

"Adrie –"

"Your dormmates were there also," The blonde continued on nonchalantly, ignoring Cedric's scold, "said something about a 'getting-ready party'? And that you better be there or they'll come drag you away."

"Oh," Rebecca paused in her bite of french toast, looking sheepish before she was nodding, "yeah, I definitely forgot about that – so now you're invited too. We can all get ready together."

*

The day seemed to pick up after breakfast, time moving by uncharacteristically fast. The trio of friends had spent most of the morning and early afternoon opening their gifts to one another – and simply enjoying each other's presence as they began reminiscing on all their shared holidays. Especially their shared one during first year where they all were still rather awkward because they barely knew each other. It was rounding two in the afternoon before they finally found themselves making their way towards the Great Hall for lunch – ready in their intentions to devour the spread of at least a hundred turkeys, numerous Christmas and holiday-themed puddings, and all the side dishes they could get their hands on. As well as going through quite a few Cribbage's Wizarding Crackers for the lame jokes and folded crowns.

Just as the pop of a few more crackers went off around the Hall, both Cedric and Adrienne's wide smiles slowly began to falter – their gazes set behind their best friend's head. Rebecca, just as she was setting the gold crown atop her hair, immediately caught their weary looks and paused, turning slightly in her seat to peer back. She had caught sights of Fred's back turning in a silent retreat back towards the Gryffindor table. She could practically hear her heart screaming at her as she watched for a split moment, absentmindedly scrambling out of her seat to follow after his figure. Rebecca had barely voiced his name, but she had effectively made him pull to a sudden, complete stop, and turning to peer back with slightly widened eyes.