50.

•♡•♡•

IT HAD TAKEN NEARLY A WHOLE month for both Cedric Diggory and Rebecca Black to come to the final conclusion that their best friend, Adrienne Samson, had not even boarded the train to Hogwarts that year

IT HAD TAKEN NEARLY A WHOLE month for both Cedric Diggory and Rebecca Black to come to the final conclusion that their best friend, Adrienne Samson, had not even boarded the train to Hogwarts that year. They had searched far and wide and in every nook and cranny of the castle in pursuits, trying to find the blonde, scouring the Great Hall every night in hopes they'd find her seated somewhere unexpected. They even asked Harry for the Marauders' Map – because it never lies – and when they found no indication that Adrienne was within the Hogwarts' boundaries, they faltered their search. They had even asked Angelina Johnson, however awkward it might've been; if something had happened between them during their fling – or if she knew of the girl's whereabouts.

She stopped replying to my letters a week into summer, Angie had admitted quietly, nothing wrong happened between us – at least in my opinion – but all my letters still went unanswered, so I just stopped sending them.

It was all-consuming to finally realize that their trio had simmered down to a mere duo. The Gryffindor was usually the one holding them altogether, the glue and the comedic relief in times of peril. For Adrienne to be gone, so was part of each of them. She had left a gaping hole, and it wasn't fillable. Cedric had taken the news particularly hard, now seen staring glumly at the wall at random times, lost in his thoughts before he was having to shake his head to himself and return to his work.

What really set the nail into the coffin was when Professor McGonagall was confirmed it all, and then some. The duo had asked the Gryffindor Head of House two weeks into the term, in the midst of their hunt – and it came a shock to both the teens and the Deputy Headmistress that the two friends hadn't been notified that Adrienne had transferred schools over the summer. Originally, Rebecca laughed at the prospect – actually laughing, as if Minerva had said the funniest joke known to man – then had to slowly fade it out when she and Cedric were both met by a pitying expression.

"I just figured she would've tell us," Cedric suddenly uttered, worrying his bottom lip between his teeth as he twirled his quill – no longer intent on finishing his work for the night, "I mean – haven't we all been friends for years?" He questioned incredulously, eyebrows furrowed and in distress, "How is it that she was just able to just get up and leave us? Without any notice, or even a goodbye."

"Maybe it wasn't her decision," Rebecca offered meekly, peering up from A Beginner's Look into Wizarding Laws and Policies that Professor Flitwick had been nice enough to loan her, "Maybe her mum suggested it – like a clean break from her father – and she just went along with it?" She set her book aside momentarily, "you know that they've been at crossroads for a few years now. Maybe it was just time."

"Yeah, but don't you feel upset that she's just gone?" He questioned once more, "Without a goodbye to us – her supposed best friends of nearly six years!" He frowned, completely ignoring the shush from Madam Pince who had passed their table.