03.

•♡•♡•

SEPTEMBER 1ST WOULD ALWAYS hold a special place in Rebecca Carrow's heart

SEPTEMBER 1ST WOULD ALWAYS hold a special place in Rebecca Carrow's heart. It would remain a very special day in her mind, probably for as long as she lived. It was the very day she'd finally get some peace of mind; the day of escape from the usual dreadful summers she was indirectly forced to spend in her childhood home. The months between terms never failed to be anything short of horrendous after The Mishap of 1989. A term of phrase coined by Rebecca's uncle, Amycus, the year of her sorting when Roan had returned to the Carrow house that same Christmas holiday – a reminder of her disappointment when she returned home the following summer. The cruel man had made endless jests of it, as if it were something so careless; only fueling her mother's rage.

Every summer since her sorting had the raven-haired girl counting each and every moment that she'd return to the Scottish countryside. To make matters worse, the time she'd spent within the same four walls she had been accustomed to for practically her entire life – they were now spent fully on her own. Long gone were family dinners and breakfasts; her meals were delivered to her room instead. Even if she would've have much rather dined with the house elves in the kitchen; Rebecca still had been outcasted by her own mother. Made a pariah like any other disappointment. Even Roan, who had tried numerous times to make his way into the warded room was practically banished from any and all interactions – there were to be no visitation, because what if the precious Carrow heir became tainted by his traitorous sister?

So really, it wasn't to anybody's surprise that the very moment Rebecca had passed the magical brick barrier – stepping onto the familiar platform bustling with life and laughter and diversity – she had flashed the very briefest of smiles to herself, a large breath escaping her lungs and melting her tense shoulders down slightly. Unbeknownst to others, and despite it being her fifth year of attendance, she still couldn't help but to become rather giddy as she caught sight of the shiny, scarlet red train that'd take her home yet again.

"Hey," Roan spoke up quietly before Rebecca could take another step towards the idling engine, effectively pausing her and catching her gaze as she turned sideways, "a-are you alright?" He asked softly, taking a step closer to her side – watching her face twist up uneasily at his proximity, "last night...I heard you – and when Mum was yelling –"

"I'm fine," She uttered just as lowly, sending him a look that clearly spoke volumes on just how much she didn't want to speak of the topic so publicly – even when her spine tingled at the memory of the pain radiating through her body just the night prior, "please, drop it."

"But—"

"I've got to go find Adrienne," Rebecca interjected him in another mutter, quickly turning back towards the train to climb aboard, "we can speak later."