48.

•♡•♡•

THE GREAT HALL WAS DECORATED as it usually was at every start of term; glimmering golden plates, goblets, and utensils shone under the light of hundreds of floating candles overhead

THE GREAT HALL WAS DECORATED as it usually was at every start of term; glimmering golden plates, goblets, and utensils shone under the light of hundreds of floating candles overhead. Slytherin, Ravenclaw, Hufflepuff, and Gryffindor – the four house tables perfectly spaced and lined up. The fifth table, right at the top of the Hall, sat all the professors and the Headmaster's chairs, each of them facing the chattering students. The Sorting got under way quickly, Professor McGonagall taking her usual position of overseeing the first years and reading their names from a long scroll to call them up individually.

And as much as she hated to admit it, Rebecca was far more awake after having a bit of chocolate – well, awake enough to complain lowly about the length of the sorting anyways. Fred had yet to remove his arm from around her waist, his fingertips absentmindedly tracing gentle shapes into her hip bone that left goosebumps in their wake – making the warmth rise up her neck and threaten her face. George and Cedric had easily gotten straight into a conversation on the Irish National Team, talking energetically on their favourite plays used during the match against Bulgaria. Though, unfortunately, nothing could pull Rebecca's attention from the fact that she was constantly be stared at. Sly glances in her direction or just plain out staring from afar, it made her want to cower under the table.

Thankfully, the feast had taken over the tables with a wave of Dumbledore's wand the minute The Sorting was over, and with it, the attention away from Rebecca. People got to shoving their faces eagerly and chatting between mouthfuls, but in turn, she felt her entire appetite evaporate into nothing. She had served herself a few spoonfuls of various dishes on her plate, though resorted to simply pushing it around in growing discomfort. Rebecca could only think of her father – what was he doing, where was he, and why hadn't he taken the time to reply to her last letter nearly two months ago – and even worse, her insides twisted with every whisper that rung her ears, regardless of whether or not it was about her. The paranoia was already setting in.

"Now that we have all began to be fed and watered," Dumbledore broke into the chattering, standing from his high seat in billowing robes, "I must ask for your attention as I give out a few notices."

When the students' noise gradually faded, he continued, "Mr. Filch, our caretaker, has asked me to tell you that the list of objects forbidden in the castle has this year been extended to include, but not limited to, Screaming Yo-Yos, Fanged Frisbees, Ever-Bashing Boomerangs," His lips quirked up slightly in amusement, eyes scanning the dozens upon dozens of students, "the full list comprises of some four hundred and thirty-seven items, and I believe, the list can be found in Mr. Flich's office, should anybody wish to see it."

"As ever, I'd like to remind you all that the Forbidden Forest is still forbidden and out-of-bounds to any student to enter," He continued, glancing at a few people indirectly, pausing for an extra moment on the Gryffindors before turning his head, "as is the village of Hogsmeade to those under third year or without a signed permission."