49.

•♡•♡•

IT WASN'T LONGER THAN AN HOUR or so later that Rebecca finally mustered up her courage and walked down the steps of the Ravenclaw Tower to begin her way towards Professor Flitwick's office

IT WASN'T LONGER THAN AN HOUR or so later that Rebecca finally mustered up her courage and walked down the steps of the Ravenclaw Tower to begin her way towards Professor Flitwick's office. Her meeting time was not for another fifteen minutes, but should the boy before her session end early – or Merlin forbid, Flitwick would need more time for her own meeting – she believed it to better be early. With the letter for Remus sealed away in an envelope and tucked safely into her bag to send off later, she awkwardly shuffled towards her Head of House's office to wait outside the shut door. People in passing looked at her, as they usually did since the day prior, and then shared looks and whispers to their walking companions.

With narrowed scowls in their direction, they were quick to look elsewhere or quicken their paces away from the girl. It wasn't much longer till the sixth year boy, Jason Barrett emerged from the office just five minutes before the start of her own meeting. He looked completely frazzled as he muttered to himself, clutching his course schedule to his chest – making Rebecca immediately felt the same feeling wash over herself. Panic rained over her head, freezing her down to the bone before she forced herself to knock once on the already-opened door and step inside. The stout professor peered up from his place at his desk, instantly flashing a smile before gesturing her in wordlessly.

"Good morning, Miss Car – er – Bla –" Flitwick paused, sending her a pitiful smile, pursing his lips slightly as he pushed his spectacles up his nose, "I'm sorry dear, but is there a preference to the surname that you wish to go by now?"

"Black is fine," Rebecca murmured, slowly sitting in the sole seat in front of his desk and moving her school bag onto her lap so she'd be able to continue nervously fiddling with the strap.

"Well, let's just jump right in, yes?" He nodded quickly, taking a fairly thick file from one of the large stacks at his sides and opening it up, "so, firstly – I do believe a hearty congratulations is in order," He smiled widely, giving two claps of his hands, "your OWL results were beautiful, a real honor to have you in Ravenclaw, dear."

"Nearly all O's in your core courses, EE in Transfiguration and Care for Magical Creatures – brilliantly done –" The short man was practically shaking in excitement and pride, "and as for your electives, you've received an O in Astronomy and Alchemy – EE in both Muggle Studies and Ancient Runes," Flitwick boasted with another short round of claps, and yet, Rebecca still couldn't help but start thinking of her father and if knew of her testing results – would he be just as proud? – "it's all up for grabs now, I believe. You have an extremely well-rounded resume, Miss Black. You are well on the course to have any job you want to pursue."

"So what will it be?" He questioned gently, giving an encouraging smile as he gripped a quill readily, "any career paths that call out to your mind and soul?"