Epilogue: Almost Perfection

“She would have loved this.”

Gabriel Holbrook was the one who said those words.

“I know.”

I, Alice Fiend was the one who said the latter.

I smiled a full-blown wide grin as I took in everything around me. The mansion was saddled nicely next to a river bend that seemed to glow every time the sun would touch its surface. There were streams of flowers flowing from the ceilings, and petals that hung in the air and the sweet sound of haunting music that swept through the never-ending halls.

It was perfect.

It was exactly what she wanted.

It was a funeral that was meant for the Queen and the king and the universe and I had given it to her.

The only thing that was missing was Alison. Big A was nice enough to keep the body until I was ready, but I knew that I couldn’t show it. I couldn’t put dead little Alison into a beautiful coffin that would only be outshone by her.

She was supposed to be gone and too much would be dug out if I did show the body. Too many questions and god forbid those to occur when I had only finally gotten the answers to questions long awaited.

I am sitting at the front of the memorial service, one hand in Gabriel’s hand as he sits to the right of me.

The coffin was delicate, beautiful and immortal my darlings.

It was empty except for the fine powders that were scattered underneath the lid.

Mona had her cremated.

She would’ve hated that.

“I do hate it,” Alison says, moving to sit beside me and folding one of her hands into my hand that isn’t occupied by Gabriel. Her hand squeezes around mine as she turns to me and smiles.

Her smile is a knife, a dazzling knife and I stare back at her lovingly as she clasps both her hands around mine and leans her cheek against mine.

“You couldn’t have had me in my beautiful, natural form?” Alison says. “You know how I long to be a spectacle Alice. Instead you turned me into small grains of non-existence. That is certainly rude. You shouldn’t treat dead little Alison like that.”

I am staring at her and I know I’ve gone certifiably insane. What would Gabriel say if he discovered that I was hallucinating Alison beside me?

But she feels so real and she talks and I hope she sings too.

And I didn’t feel like letting go just yet.

You don’t just let go of almost perfect.