Chapter 99: The Goodbye Boy

And it starts from inside me.

A wail.

A heart wrenching and agony filled wail that smothers every corner of my body and every corner of this house.

And I’m a sobbing with everything I have.

I can’t stand anymore. I fall  to my knees, put my heads in my hands and claw at my scalp, heaving. I claw my way across the floor to his body.

“No, no, no, no,” I am murmuring words that come out feeble gasps like I can’t breathe because I can’t, because I am drowning in agony.

His beautiful eyes flutter.

He is still alive.

But not for long.

“Alice,” he whispers. His trying his best to keep his eyes open but they keep falling. “I couldn’t ki-ll her.”

I straddle him and I yank out the knife from his chest and then fling it across the room. Then I smother his wound with my hands, trying to press the blood pouring out back in, tears blurring my eyes as I do it.

It’s not working.

I can’t breathe.

Wesley slowly watches me sadly between spurts of consciousness as I scream and dry heave and try to push the life back into him but my hands are covered in a dark liquid that is his and he is not panicking at all.

He is welcoming this.

His eyes catch mine for a brief moment and they hold this kind of tranquility that I can’t fathom and that’s when I know that he tried to kill Annie, but shot her in the leg instead and then shoved a knife in his own chest.

He wanted to kill himself.

He was so done he wanted to kill himself.

I didn’t protect him.

I said I would always protect him.

And then I pause and gurgle a broken laugh.

Look world.

Look.

Look what you’ve done.

My tears bleed out of my eyes while Wesley is bleeding out of his chest.

Sobs knock against my ribs and break through them over and over again and throw me around the room and punch me the face and rake out my eyelids and pretend that the only thing that people do is cry.