Chapter 33: When He Stayed

6 MONTHS BEFORE HE LEFT:

“Wow, I really had no idea that you couldn’t cook,” He was grinning from ear to ear as he looked at the black rotting carcus of food on the fry pan. I looked at his dish in envy. It was a perfectly crafted two minute noodles that he had made to look like a gourmet meal. IT looked like a gourmet meal.

I scrunched up my eyebrows and pouted, “Mines meant to be black and flakey.”

He was laughing at me, “Alice, you do rmember that you put an egg in the frying pan.”

I looked at him in mock horror and replied cheekily “Of course! But frying eggs for about an minute is too mainstream. A good twenty minutes is how it’s supposed to be made. “

“Yup,” his eyes were twinkling, “Sure. I’m actually not sure if it’s edible anymore.”

I agreed with him but I wasn’t going to say that out loud. I had broken sweat for the past twenty minutes while he leaned against the cabinets , arms crossed, smirking at me.  I wasn’t going to simple agree that the egg I fried probably could rip out his stomach along with his intestines.

I rolled my eyes with a cheeky smile on my face, “anything I make is edible.”

He raised his eyebrows.

Then just out of nowhere he scooped up the black egg and shoved it in his mouth. I stared at him, mouth open in horror.

“Are you insane?” I yelled, “It could kill you!”

He was laughing with a mouth stuffed of black whoknowswhat. I reached towards him and attempted to yank his mouth open but it wouldn’t budge. Then a second later, his full mouth became empty as It rolled down his throat.

“Gabriel Holbook! You can’t die like this!” I slammed my fists down on his chest. In one quick motion he managed to lock both of my wrists in his and kiss both the knuckles of my hands, pulling me against him.

It was getting really hard to remember anything.

Just I was about to lose every hope of being sane, he released my hands and grinned.

I crossed my arms and leaned back. “Don’t look at me like that. I don’t even remember what I put in it. If you end up in the hospital and the doctors ask me what’s in the devil egg, don’t blame me.”

He raised his hands, backing away and chuckling. “And I’ll just say: Doctor, how would’ve I have known? My dear girlfriend clearly stated that it was edible.”

Now I couldn’t help smiling wide and deep.

I picked up the plate of noodles he had cooked from the bench behind me. Then with one quick flick the plate of noodles soared in the air and straight into his face.

There stood Gabriel Holbrook with hair full off noodles and an expression mingled with shock but utter mischievousness. I knew that look.

I raised my hands in surrender, slowly backing off and moving behind the counter.

I was laughing way too hard but adrenaline was pumping through me.

“Oh Alice,” he pretended to sigh but couldn’t wipe the pirate smile off his face the whole time. “I made the noodles for you. I would be really unhappy if you didn’t at least have some.”

Then he lunged at me.

I screamed as he clambered over the counter like an animal with noodle dreads. I ran over to the couches and plucked off a cushion, throwing it at him as he moved towards me.

“I’m full thanks,” I said back, clambering over the couches and diving behind one. Noodles were shooting everywhere as she shoved the pillow away and proceeded to chase me down. I was up and going once again, heading towards the hall of his house.

Just as I reached it I was jerked away and thrown onto the couches. I squealed as noodle dreads dripped and tickled my face. Gabriel straddled me as I lay with my back against the couch. He was laughing like he was totally insane and in the next moment he grabbed all the noodles out of his hair and threw them on the floor.

He was grinning but his eyes were hungry, searching me. I shivered.

“You might be,” he whispered seductively, “But I’m not.”