Chapter 6: Ravenswood. Population: Alison

*FEW YEARS AGO*

Cicero College was a short drive from Ravenswood. It took one hour to get onto the highway and then it was ten minutes of continious driving for the rest. Each summer, I would be shipped off to Grans house which now sat on the corner of Circero Avenue and Londsdale street. Right on the edge of Cicero College. You could imagine how much fun I had sneaking into their pool every night, and when Gran got a job at Cicero College, it was all for the better. Then Alison came along. We were ten and we were somehow friends. I'd always thought people that were as mean as us wouldn't fit together, but I was wrong, because Alison was willing to learn and I was dying to teach. So, Mrs Dilarentous was out of town for business and of course, she had asked for Alison to stay with me. So that was it.

Well I wish that was it.

"Alison, I swear, if Gran loses that job because of this I will bury you myself," I had said feverishly.

"It's just a Soroity house Alice. It's not like you haven't sneaked in here yourself."

"Unlike you, I'm careful about what I do," I retorded back with a warning hiss in my voice. Her deamenor seemed to shrivel back into herself and I threw her a wicked smile.

"I'm not sure if you are trying to insult me Alice," she said with a frown, her smile was now gone.

"I'll leave that for your thoughts to wrap around, but anyway, what is this plan you've been storming up for the past couple of weeks?" I said, throwing my hands onto the edge of the fence and pulling myself up to sit on it. The buildings came into view. Old shabby looking houses painted with the designs of the 90's. Alison threw herself over the wall like a cat and looked up at me from the other side.

"You lie remember? I keep the secrets," She said, and then ran off into the tree's.

I jumped down and called out, "That's not how we work, Dilaurentous."

"Come on Fiend. Before day comes.Then the only thing you've got to lie about is why your still alive in the morning."

"Your words drip like sweat. Doesn't bother me," I said, as the tree's cleared off and we peered down a lane of houses.

"So what's your Gran again?" Alison joked, " a cleaner?"

"You wish," I laughed, "I wanted her to be your murderer, but no, she already is busy with her own hit list. Maybe you'll be lucky enough to get on it."

"Maybe," Alison whisphered as I reached her side and we walked under the streetlights like we owned the place. That's the secret. You walk in plain sight and no one will point a finger at you. You just turn out to be a victim, when you are truly a witness in your own crime.

We stopped a few doors down as I held up the keys and said, "Well this is the one."

"I can't believe your Grandmother sold her old house just because she was in the Cicero College propety. And what's worse is that she moved into a house next door to the whole college its self," Alison said.

"Well, there are perks of knowing a house here Alison."

"I know," She said knowingly.

We walked up the porch and slipped the key in. The door creeked open. The soft sounds of breathing echoed through the wall. It was a pure girls sorority house with every piece of furniture as bland as they probably were. Well it was my Grandmother's furniture, so it was smothered in floral and tea stains. I pulled out pen torch from my back pocket.

"You take the kitchen," I whisphered quickly, handing her a black velvet bag. "I'll go upstairs."

She nodded and we seperated. The stairs creeked all the way. It was when I got to the top that I spotted a new addition.

A Bat.

A bat with names engraved on it in pinned to the wall like it was something to praise. For some reason it looked out of place. Like it was hiding. A stolen bat. A Murder Weapon.

A scuffle sounded downstairs. I whipped my head towards it to hear more but it stopped as soon as it began.

You know the feeling you get when you feel the dread slipping in and the blood slips from your skin? Well, yeah, I was feeling it.

I creeped down stairs, torch in hand and hood on head.

I didn't bother calling out her name. Whatever had happened was either a mistake or serious and I wasn't stupid enough to be one of those victims in those horror movies. I turned a corner but slipped back as soon as I did.

Alison was standing with a boy that I knew shouldn't have been present. They whisphered, heads together. The black velvet bag lay by the floor.

"Have you figured who it is yet?" Alison said.

The boy shook his head.

"I'm giving you two weeks and that's all. If you don't figure out who it is I will kill you myself," Alison said.

"Just because you can't clean up after yourself Alison," the boy replied. It sounded like the voice of an young boy. Older than us but younger than your average parent.

"Just shut up and finish it. Alice will be down any second now and she doesn't need to know that I'm much worse than she could ever be."

I stepped back against the world and tried to process this information. Well I could've if the woman that was standing infront of me wasn't my Grandmother.

Yup. My Grandmother was standing infront of me with a finger to her mouth in a "Shhh."

Say hello to Mrs Grunwald.