Chapter 52: Hackers and Hacking

I skip school the next day. There is no need for my presence. After all, one day won’t affect my impeccable five first days of attendance.

I’m afraid that Wesley is going to do something rash. That I’ll have to stop him. I wonder if I can stop him.

It’s days like these that I remember his face when he saw me through the Prison visiting window. That hope that died down when he realised that it wasn’t hit family that had came to see him. Just someone that would manipulate him.

When I woke up, Wesley was gone. Mona was waiting in the lounge room when I pulled myself out of bed.

“Can’t you keep to your creepy little room?” I growled. “Anyway, where is Wesley?”

She rolled her eyes at me and sighed, “He left a note on the counter. He went to get breakfast. Do you want to hear the OVERTHROW report or not?”

I gave her a frank look and fixed myself onto the counter.

She nodded her head just as Cece and Holdon walked in with a bunch of files, slamming them on the coffee table in front of the TV.

She looked towards Mona and asked, “Is she ready?”

I rolled my eyes, “Of course I am. Now hurry up. What do you have?”

Mona spoke first.

“So far, our system has cut through the exterior of the A team. We are able to intercept and redirect their calls and texts towards the Liars on the devices that are connected to their system. So that’s what it has been doing. Every text sent is stored in our system along with their location.

Cece  interrupted,”The thing is, they know we have hacked into their system so they keep delaying the location signal. The location we get sent is the location they were in, but it could be weeks and weeks ago and we just don’t know.”

“How is that happening?” I growled, “ Our network is complex. After all I made it.”

“ I’m a hacker. I could take a look at i-“ Mona started to speak but I cut her off.

“You really think your ability at hacking surpasses my ability to create a system that is this complex?” I said threateningly.

Don’t think that I forgot about you saying I have no soul Mona.

“That doesn’t help Alice,” Cece said. “This means we know that there is someone on their side that has skill in hacking and intercepting systems.”

I pause.

“Gabriel, why do I always find you on the computer?” I had said when I came home from school one day and directly walked into his house.

He was sitting on the computer just typing furiously. He didn’t even bother to look up. I had moved towards him to lean my head on his shoulder.

Lights were flashing on the screen and a few seconds later Holbrook cheered as the FBI profile system passed him into their data base. I gaped at him as he flicked through the profiles of some Ravenswood civilians.

“Your expression is amusing me,” He chuckled still facing the screen. He could see my totally dumbstruck expression in the reflection of the screen.

“How did you do that? My parents who even work for the FBI can’t even do that.” I gaped.

He raised an eyebrow, “Shouldn’t you be asking why am I doing this?”

I just gaped at him. He chuckled.

“I’m trying to find out about that guy. You know the one who just recently got arrested that spent two whole months at our school? Lyndon James? He intrigues me. It’s not all the time someone like him comes to town and I just have to know-” He said.

“You’ll get caught Gabriel,” I said. My voice was starting to harden.

“I’ve done everything to make sure I won’t get caught,” He said. “I promise.”

I grumbled and threw myself on his bed. “I’m not pulling you out once you get into Jail. I’m warning you.”

He swivelled his chair to face me and gave me a weak smile, “How bout I teach you? Teach you the computer universe?”

That’s how it began, I guess. Holbrook had taught me everything I could do through the computer systems so he had to be the one on the other side of this current mess.

But the thing is, Holbrook always lead to someone else.

Because A few days after I sneaked back into Holbrook’s house and hacked into his unregistered computer, I found a boy who was just my age with a killer history. His family had done well with hiding the majority of his criminal activity.

Wesley Fitz. He was more complicated then I could ever guess.