Chapter 70: "A" less Neighbours

I give a weak warm smile, “Hi, Mrs Jenkins.”

“Oh dear,” she smiles at me excitedly, “You look so mature and beautiful. You must have all the young gentleman, don’t you?”

Annie has begun to burst out laughing and my face is turning a shade of red unfathomable and I quickly shake my head but my eyes meet Holbrook for just a moment and I die.

His eyes are a shade of amusement.

Holbrook takes control, “Sorry to bother you Mrs Jenkins, but Alice and I were wondering if you could just take care of Annie temporarily? I’ve just had too much work and I feel like I’m negl-“

Mrs Jenkins cut him off with a chain of “Yes’s” and Annie smiled happily. What the hell did Mrs Jenkins give Annie to make her this happy?

“I have a spare room and Annie can use it straight away,” Mrs Jenkins replied, happily. Her eyes were bursting with colour.

“Thank you so much, Mrs Jenkins, it really means a lo-“ Holbrook was cut off again by Mrs Jenkins shooshing him. I couldn’t help but smile.

Mrs Jenkins grabbed Annie by the arm and directed her to her new bedroom. Gabe and I followed.

Once we got to Annie’s huge room, Mrs Jenkins excused herself to prepare the food and Annie threw herself on the big four-poster bed.

“Is this-“ Holbrook started but Annie cut him of.

“This is great,” she said.

“Well,” Holbrook said, “I’ll bring your bank details and passport as well as your clothes around tomorrow?”

“Yes. Great. Now leave,” Annie said hurriedly.

Holbrook looked at his sister amused.

I crossed my arms suspiciously. “And why, Annie, are you so enthusiastic about this arrangement?”

She looked at me, rolled her eyes and leaned in and said, “Mrs Jenkins is the god of food and no offence, brother, but all you cook is noodles and I just need some real food in my life.”

Holbrook laughed dryly and I smirked at him.

“So can you leave?” Annie whined. “She’s going to attempt to share the food she made with you and that is the last thing I want.”

I rolled my eyes and walked out, letting Holbrook say his goodbye to his sister privately. I picked up a few sentences along the lines of , “Call me every single day and don’t go out late and don’t make new friends and I’ll come visit you every week.”

I smiled to myself.

It took ten minutes before he finally came back out and let me in to speak with Annie.

She looked at me, and then at the door and then back at me. “Can you make sure that article is gone? I don’t want him to find it.”

I nodded firmly, “I can do that.”

I went to leave but Annie spoke up again.

“Be careful,” She said. I looked backed at her curiously. She was looking at me firmly. “I know you notice how bad the A team is. They will kill you if they have the chance. You should do what I am doing and just leave. Hide out for a while.”

I cross my arms, “I am not going to stand on the sidelines anymore Annie. “

She frowned at me, “I thought so. Goodluck?”

I smiled at her slightly.

“Oh, “ she said. “And don’t kill my brother.”

I rolled my eyes and went to leave before Annie walked up to me and wrapped her hands around me in a hug.

I kind of just stood there. I was never really good with the hugging thing.

She whispered, “Thank you.” And I hugged her back slightly but politely.

And then Holbrook and I were out of there.