Chapter 90: "I underestimated you, Wesley Fitz"

FLASHBACK: IMMEDIATLY AFTER ALICE PULLS WESLEY OUT OF JAIL and they become ALLIED!

He keeps asking me questions.

About my life.

I don’t answer a single one of them.

Ever so often I can catch him staring outside the car window and I forget that he was once a prisoner, locked away from the outside world. The world has changed around him so significantly. I can’t being to fathom how he can put himself back into it.

I break the silence.

“Don’t worry, you didn’t miss much,” I say, taking a left at the end of the street.

He jumps and then stares at me, finally realising it was me that was speaking.

“Time is idle in prison,” he says softly. “ Out here, it always moves forward. Changing. Growing. I like it out here. I don’t know if I deserve it.”

I am trying my very best not to stare at him.

Is he sane?

Is he insane?

What have I done?

“You can’t prevent change,” I cough. “That’s obvious. You can be ignorant to it, or change itself can be ignorant to other things. Like people. So there is no use, Wesley. Change is ignorant to everything we care about. Change is ignorant to us.”

His eyes do not leave my face.

“Why do you compare yourself to me when you know how bad I am?” He whispers.

I laugh,” You would rebuke your statement if you knew how bad I was. I am not a good person Wesley, but I think you already know that.”

He pauses before he speaks. Contemplating.

“Yes. I don’t think you are,” he says simply.  “I’ve only ever learned that good people are terrified of bad people. I’m a bad person, and yet you aren’t afraid of me. You must be a bad person.”

I smile softly, “Just think, only the bad people live to see their likeness set in stone.”

He raises his eyebrows, confused.

I roll my eyes, “Only bad people,” I say again, “ are alive when they become idolised by everyone else. When they are moulded into statues, painted into frames. We live to see ourselves admired into artwork. How could you hate that?”

“You get to see what you’ve become,” his voice takes a turn. “How other people see you. You can tell the sculptors to build a statue of you and they will only ever build their interpretation. The way society interprets you. I can’t see any admiration in that. I can only see hate.”

I am silent.

I haven’t prepared myself for this.

But then I feel his eyes one me, an odd softness as he scans me up and down. He smiles slightly to himself, “But I guess for you it must be different.”

I risk my life to take my eyes off the road and look at him.

His eyes have an odd softness to them and he stares at me in a way I feel it in my bones.

“I can’t imagine that you don’t know that you are beautiful,” He says. “I can’t imagine that the sculptors could build you without that.”

“You just complimented me,” I say bluntly, but I don’t mean to say it out loud but I do.

I look at Wesley again and he is looking at me like he so utterly amused at my reaction.

“Don’t tell me?” He says, “Compliments got banned since the time I entered jail?

The sweet sarcasm in his voice is dripping and I find it so crazy that he has managed to find amusement in shocking me so quickly.

I scoffed, “I underestimated you, Wesley Fitz.”

“I like you,” He says.

“You suck,” I say back. Best one liner ever.

Wes raises an eyebrow, “Well, I did just come out of jail. That does suck pretty bad.”

“How is it that you are managing to respond in a manner that is so unbelievably unexpected?” I say frustrated.

“You look like you find comfort in the known,” Wesley says, he still is smiling.

“I am so bloody confused,” I reply.

“So am I, but I think this is how fun is supposed to be,” he replies.

That’s the first time I see light in his eyes.

___

Authors Note: So, I just checked on my story and we are so close to 200 000 views and I couldn't help but post something to occupy the time between the next official update (November 11) and now to THANK YOU ALLL SO MUCH! IT IS SO AMAZING TO HAVE ALL YOUR SUPPORT AND I LOVE YOU ALL SO INCREDIBLY MUCH! Thank you all for always commenting because it makes my day so much and I hope you liked this little thing with Wesley and Alice we had in this flashback!

*If you see this comment, comment down below what team you are on (haha, once again- but probably for the LAST TIME) and for my own curiousity, what author reminds you of my writing style?

XOXOX

EVILYNICE