Chapter 72: Life Saver

And I think this is the first time I could finally breathe after everything that happened in that car.

I walk up to the door of Wesley and I’s motel room that houses the computers. The lights are off. It seems like everyone had gone to their respective beds and back to sleep.

I released a breath and slowly turn the doorknob and open the door. I step into the darkness and close the doors behind me.

The lights flash on.

Cece and Mona are sitting at the computers while Wesley is leaning against the wall watching me.

I reach for my gun in my back pocket before realising that I had left it at school when I dropped it as I attempted to shoot Wesley.

Wesley is leaning against the wall and just looking at me with sadness and hurt and a thousand untold words. A string of tension is forming between us and I can feel his eyes brush over me.

I nearly break underneath his look.

Cece gets up from the chair and says, “Oh my god Alice. I attempted to call you about a bazillion times but you won’t damn pick up your phone! We finally hacked into the security cameras at the A teams lair. We can finally locate them!”

I stand there and kind of just stare at them with my mouth hung open.

Wesley must not have told them about my betrayel.

I am standing at the door and I can’t look at him.

Mona smiles at me, laughs and says, “Oh, and by the way Alice. We are no longer part of the B team anymore. It seems we didn’t know that the A team has the same intentions as us. But now we know that you don’t and we do.”

And then in slow motion, I watch Cece and Mona stand up and hold a gun in my direction.

Time has stopped.

What a stunning turn of events.

Out of everything, I thought Cece and Mona would turn on me because it seems like I was part of the A team. But no, they were.

And here I am, standing alone. Facing two bloody guns and knowing that there is no way I’ll win this time. That my time has come to an end and I was ignorant enough to face them without a weapon.

But then Wesley pulls out a gun and points it at Cece and Mona and says nicely “If you shoot her, I’ll shoot you both right in the face.”

I am momentarily startled.

Wesley didn’t know about this... defiance. He was just as clueless as me.

Cece looks irritated and Mona looks unfazed. Cece stares at Wesley unhappily and says, “This is why we didn’t tell you.”

“This is why I didn’t want to know,” Wesley raises an eyebrow. “Now surrender and fight this fight another day.”

His hold on the gun is perfect and unwavering.

Cece looks pissed but she lowers her gun. She’s smart. She knows that Wesley is not one to mess with. She must’ve heard about Noel Kahn’s death.

Mona, on the other hand holds her gun in the air but has the eyes of slight surrender. Wesley indicates for them to leave and I Inch towards him to get out of their way.

They move to the door while I move towards Wesley who is standing behind the couch, no longer leaning against the wall.

I am shaking. I’ve never felt so helpless.

Then in one quick movement, Mona turns around and fires a bullet straight at Wesley’s eye.

Well, she would’ve If I hadn’t grabbed on to his arm and yanked him down behind the couch, toppling over each other.

I quickly yank the gun out of his hand as more bullets flash over our heads. Then I peep over the couch and shoot a warning shot in their direction. Wesley shouts, pulling me down immediately, so that I was lying on top of him, awkwardly. My face starts to change into an odd shade of red.

 I quickly pluck myself off of him and peep over the couch to fire another shot at Mona’s legs. It hit it’s mark and she goes tumbling down.

One down. Another one to go.

Wesley decides it’s the best time to stand up and all I know is that I start yelling and pulling at him to crouch down. My fingers weave with his and I pulled him back down and look firmly, “What the hell are you doing? Get down.”

“You are going to get shot if you keep doing that,” Wesley says back, his eyes burning with fear.

“And what?” I look back at him hardly while a flash of pain courses through my chest. “Your life is not worth anything?”

He looks at me sternly, “No.”

I looked at him, tightening my grip around his hand, “Well it is and I can’t hate you so stop this.”

His eyes drop down to his hand and the way that I am holding it.

“You said you were never going to speak to me again,” Wesley says, his eyes shatter when he looks back up.

“I don’t think I would be able to ever do that,” I reply back quietly.

The door slams open and I look over the couch just in time to see Holbrook burst in and shoot Cece in the legs, bringing her to the floor with Mona.

He looks terrified and his eyes scan the room before falling on me. The tension releases from his face until he picks out Wesley behind me. He raises the gun and I jump hurriedly in front of Wesley before Holbrook could take the shot.

“No,” I yell, raising my hands in front of me. “Don’t shoot him. He saved my life.”