Chapter 73: Ten Days

Gabriel’s eyes narrow at Wesley as he doesn’t bother to lower the gun. Instead, he takes one hand off it and beckons his finger towards me.

I stand in front of Wesley protectively.

“Lower the gun,” I say with a tight voice. Holbrook sighs, looks at me, brushes the sweat of his forehead and slowly, oh so slowly lowers the gun so it doesn’t look so threatening.

I release a breath and move towards him slowly.

His eyes brush over me to check if I’m injured anywhere and when he is done he says, “Next time, I’ll be coming with you. If this is what happens when I give you ten minu-“

I cut him off and say, “Thank you Gabriel.”

He looks momentarily startled before he smiles back politely. After a couple of seconds of just looking at me, he says,“You need to get out of here. I’ll call the station and then we can finally bring Cece in. Along with Holdon, Mona and ..Wesley.”

I cross my arms tightly and glance towards Wesley who was automatically gone rigid and is glaring at Holbrook. I check that I have Wesley’s gun and Holbrook has his, Mona’s and Cece and then I give him the look that says, “This is not the time to be pulling any plans.”

Then I say to Holbrook, “Can I please talk with you privately?”

He watches me and nods slightly. I grab his arm and move towards Wesley and I’s bedroom. Then I turn back towards Wesley before the door closes and say, “If you move, I will hunt you down.”

Then I close the door.

“He’s not going to Jail,” I say, crossing my arms and facing Holbrook.

“Your not someone I thought I would have to remind that he is a murderer,” Holbrook says calmly, but his grip on his gun says otherwise. His eyes keep flicking to the door behind me.

“I know very well what he is capable Gabriel and I am asking you to leave his fate up to me,” I say.

He looks away from me and frustration is evident on his face. I knew it was evident on mine. We never had arguments.

He looks at me, hardly, “Why are you so obsessed with him? Are you thinking you can fix him? Because you can’t. He is not normal.”

“There is nothing wrong with him that isn’t wrong with me already,” I reply back, tiredness in my voice.

“Don’t ever, compare yourself to him. You and him are nothing alike,” Holbrook says hardly.

I groan out in frustration, “I have a responsibility towards him, Gabe. I took him out a jail. It’s only right that I attempt to put his life back to purpose.”

“Then put him back into Jail,” Holbrook snaps. I look at him, surprised. He catches my look, runs his fingers through his hair and sighs. “I don’t trust him Alice. I really don’t think I can ever trust him.”

“I’m not asking you to trust him,” I reply. “I’m asking you not to judge him.”

He looks at me quietly and I smile at him weakly.

I think he knows I’ve gotten worse.

***

Holbrook orders Wesley and me to leave while he makes the call to the police station. He tells Cece that all his pals back there have been waiting a long time for her. I offer to stay but he refuses and then hands me the keys to his house with the address and looks warily towards Wesley. Wesley watches as I place my hand on Holbrooks shoulder to calm him.

And then we leave.

I’ve decided that I like driving and I take the drivers seat while Wesley slips into the passenger seat. I almost start shaking when I remember what happened in here.

Wesley notices.

I turn to him abruptly, “Are you going to kill him?”

He knows whom I’m exactly talking about but he just stares at me.

I repeat my question, “Are you going to kill him?”

He looks at me silently, “Are you going to get in my way?”

I stare at him. A sad pit of darkness reforming and forming again inside of me. Why did I ever think that I could have a happy ending, with no complications in my life?

I don’t look at him when I say, “Didn’t I promise I wouldn’t?”

He leans back in his chair, “You are not one to keep your promises.”

I glance at him and turn on the engine.

Then he says, “He has ten days. I can’t hold out any longer.”

I could change him in Ten days.