Chapter 14: She's Got A Gun

“You know,” he said it like a whisper I almost couldn’t catch it. “I knew something was wrong, but I was stupid enough to think that you would tell me. That I meant something to you.”

I think I lost my eyesight then. Because all I could see was clumps of raining clouds in my vision and all I could do was push them back down my throat so they wouldn’t escape. And in that moment, I just wanted to give up on all these futile events. I wanted someone to just hold and cry and I wanted him so so much. But I didn’t deserve him. He didn’t deserve the pain I was going through. And I couldn’t. let. Alison. Go.

He looked up from staring at the floor and caught me straight in the eye.

“Just tell me the truth about one thing. Please. That’s what I want to know.” I nodded. “All these years..in this house..were you alone?” His voice broke.

I stared at him for a couple of seconds. He was warm and beautiful and he had always tried to help me. Maybe I owed him the truth. Or some of the truth.

I breathed and looked him straight in the eyes though it hurt me to.

“Just two years.”

His breathe cut off and in a second his hands were tugging on his hair and his face showed so much agony that I wished I could take all those words back. All those three words.

His breathing was irregular. He stumbled. I reached forward-

“No,” he jumped back, “No please. I’m sorry. I jus- You were alone for that lo- do yo- do you know where they are?”

“No.” I sighed, “I came back one day and they were gone.”

“And you never thought of looking for them telling anyone, telling me?“

Why did we keep on breaking?

“No,” I said, my voice becoming defensive, “because I don’t want to know why they left. I’m completely content on being by myself. I don’t need anyone.”

Hurt flashed across his eyes. In a way, I had insulted him.

I spoke, breaking ever word. “I would appreciate if you didn’t tell anyone and just left it to b-

“How can you ask me that?” he laughed a small hysterical laugh.” Can you really ask me to leave you alone.”

I knew that somewhere deep inside of me he wouldn’t give up.

I guess that’s why I had to put a gun to his sister’s head.