Chapter 31: Escape The Deeds

“You’re late Ms Fiend.”

I stumbled into the classroom, shuffling on my spare pair of shoes I had kept along with a spare change of clothes for gym in my locker.

I nodded to E-Fitz and handed him the late pass I had forged while I was getting my books. He looked at me with a slight raised eyebrow and then pointed at the seat next to Aria.

I chucked my books onto the table and took a seat as Ezra continued to teach.

“You okay?” I looked up to see Aria leaning towards me.

“Yeah,” I laughed, “Just slept in that’s all.”

More like had no place to sleep not that I would have slept anyway.

The USB was safely tucked into my shirt remaining a reminder to all that went up in flames last night. Literally went up in flames.

Time had gone so fast from the second I dropped the match and leaped out of the burning building with my USB like my life depended on it.

Okay, I’m lying again.

It leaped out of the burning building with my USB like my life depended on it after I knew Holbrook could get out himself.

Gabriel.

Oh Gabriel.

A knock sounded on the door. I would’ve missed in my reverie if it weren’t for the murky feeling I got when police were around.

Police were around. Oh god. One of books slipped off my table and was just about to hit the floor when I caught it mid air.

I looked up slowly, viewing Ezra move out to the hallway to meet two police officers that were anything but Holbrook.

I sent a prayer of thanks to god knows where.

It made sense that Police Officers were visiting Ezra. After all, it was his apartment building that had caught fire.

If It had been Holbrook I don’t think I could’ve handled it anymore. Cece’s failed attempt to help me and the A team contacting me was the least of my problems. I was slowly losing my cover.

Had six years really changed me so much?

I felt the tension beside me and I laughed to myself as I realised that the Liars were wary about the Police Officers just as much as me. Afterall, their second home was the Rosewood Police Department.

“Alice?”, Ezra said and I looked up at him automatically from my nonchalant gazing at the Liars amusedly to take my tension off. “Could you please come here for a minute?”

A cold feeling started to form at the pit of my stomach.

I stood up and rolled my eyes like every teenager would do even though I felt anything but doing that. I walked towards the front of the classroom and then towards the classroom door, stepping out of the room while closing the door behind me.

“Is there anything I could do for you officers?” I said in monotone. Ezra stood next to them. One was about the size of an elephant in all ways and the other looked like he was the one that had always been picked on at school.

The smaller one spoke, his eyes flickered annoyingly towards Ezra who took it as a signal to leave. “Ms Fiend, we are sorry to inform you about your apartment catching on fire. We were just wondering if we could speak with you back at the station so we can fill you in on the details?”

I pressed a palm to my forehead and did the best fake distraught look ever.

“No! All my belongings! All my personal items. Are they gone?”

The elephant sized man spoke back, “I’m afraid so mam. We suspect attempted robbery. If you could just follow us back to the RPD.”

A couple of tears managed to squeeze their way out down my cheeks.

“How can I say no to that?”