Chapter 25: Forget The Reasons

Before anyone could say anything, “Oh, Alice is just a new girl. We offered whether she would like to sit with us.”

I stared at my food tray, apple juice on one side and pasta that was roughly three days old from the spell. I did not meeting Officer Tanners eyes. A burning sensation had started from the bottom of my back all the way up to my neck.

I could feel his eyes. I could feel them.

I wonder if he remembers how I threatened to kill his sister.

Of course he does.

I stood up suddenly, taking my tray with me. I turned slowly to the girls and smiled, “ I think I better get going. I have no clue where my next class and I don’t want to be late this time. “

Aria smiled politely while Spencer looked at Aria and Hannah was looking away.

I moved swiftly out from my chair without turning around to look behind me.

Why did I ever think this was a good idea?

I chucked my whole tray out and walked towards the hallway with my eyes glued in front of me.

I couldn’t breathe.

*** 

The bell rang, signalling the end of the day. I didn’t see the girls after that odd meeting with Officer Tanner. The one with the curly brown hair that had solved at least 300 police cases in the past year over the country. I could tell you each and every one of them in full detail.

At one point in my life she had inspired me.

I shifted my shoulder strap bag onto my shoulder so it was no longer digging into it. The town apartments were only a short distance from the school and it only took me about ten minutes to walk home and try to erase today.

But apparently it wouldn’t end.

Just as I stepped around the corner the sound of sirens filled my ears. I peaked around the bend to see about 3 police cars surrounding the apartment.

Just as before, I felt like something was off again.

I had locked the fire place after exiting it last night. Nothing in my room was suspicious and plus, why would they ever go into my room. So whatever they were looking for had to be alright, right?

Then out of nowhere, I was grabbed and shoved into an alleway.

I swung my arm out just about to collide with the attacker when I realised who it was.

“Wesley?” I breathed, shocked.

He was covered in a crusted blood and sweat. Not only that, he was frantic. His whole body was slowly vibrating and he was clearly injured more than I was. His shirt was the same black one we had dressed each other in but his was stuck to his chest with sweat.

“I’m sorry, I wasn’t thinking,” he said, his hands trembling and shaking as he reached for me, trying to kiss me. I pushed him away, looking straight at the thing wrapped around his fist.

A shopping list.

My shopping list that was left on the fridge after I had hacked into the RPD to replace the video.

“No,” I said quietly, anger bubbling inside of me. “NO!”

I punched the brick wall as I stared at Wesley in fury. “You went inside my apartment didn’t you?”

“I know,” he whispered, his voice scratched and injured. He was grabbing my arms trying to calm be down. “I’m sorry. I didn’t think. I didn’t think to erase the blood from the floor from where I was pushed. I didn’t think about erasing any of the evidence. But you have to un-“

I pushed myself away from him. He looked at me frantically like he was going to lose it.

“You lead the police back to my apartment? You left a trail of blood right too me and everything that happened. There are files in that apartment, Wes, that need to be kept hidden. “

“I was looking for you, Alice! I needed you!” he said, his voice rising as he tried to leap towards me in order to wrap me in his arms. I jumped away frantically as well.

What if they find the fireplace? They could find the fireplace. I couldn’t run like Cece.

He looked at me, just stared as his eyes filled with agony and hurt. “You didn’t even ask me if I am okay. Would you even care if I had died?”

I looked at him silently. Not knowing what to say.

Then I whispered, stepping away from him, “You shouldn’t have come back.”