Chapter 9: The Ice.

There is a question that I’m sure everyone is asking right now. When my parents went missing, why didn’t I go running to my grandmother? Mrs Grunwald has more than enough food, shelter and love to share, does she not?

I don’t need comfort. I don’t need a house, a family and being deprived from love has always been part of life. To me, they are all just commodities. I can live off basic necessities until I’m dead. But if one thing is for sure:

I. Cannot. Live. With. Her.

When I was six years old and had nothing better to do than go ice-skating on the pond outside my Grandmother’s house, a girl from across the street thought it would be fun to join me. Only I didn’t want her to. But she was a year older and at that time I didn’t realise the potential I had to become more, so I let her. So while I skated around the lake and stalked her with my piercing eyes, Mrs Grunwald sat on the porch with the girl’s mother and watched, me.

I’ll be right back honey, you be careful now. Mrs Grunwald will keep an eye on you till I get back with my jacket.

I watched as my grandmother nodded her head slightly and the girl’s mother took off back down the street to her house until she was gone.

I don’t know if it was a coincidence that when my grandmother gestured to Julie, the girl, to come to her, that the ice broke. It was like a spider web forming and I couldn’t take my eyes of Julie as the water, who was the spider, came to swallow her.

My grandmother just sat there, not moving a muscle until the ice hardened back again. The crackling of the ice fading away. She broke into a grin.

I think that’s when I broke.