Chapter 81: The Boy Across The Street

There wasn’t a specific day that I remember meeting Gabriel Holbrook. He was that boy who spoke to the whole Ravenswood about human rights for his 4th grade assignment. He was the boy who saved Mrs Jenkins cat from being stuck in a tree. He was the boy that melted into crowds the way I used to melt in front of him. He was the boy unnoticed by me for a long time. He was the boy across the street. He was the boy that I loved.

He had that ability to just make you forget he was even there if you weren’t careful. We had met a couple of times at dinner parties and primary school functions. I was the one who made a big fuss about me being able to feel that someone was watching me.

It must’ve been him.

But I was too oblivious to realise.

I guess it must’ve been summer when I caught him first. It’s hard to imagine that someone like me would still have time to keep up with schoolwork. After all, I was way too absorbed in other affairs to sit down on the lawn and vomit out words for a stupid English essay about the Russian Revolution. But I had to. It was due tomorrow.  Even bad girls like me handed in their essays.

My parents had expectations that I didn’t care about, but it was the only way to ensure they didn’t meddle with my life. If I just got things done and out of the way. If I just kept away from them and didn’t draw any attention towards me..I..wouldn’t have to suffer.

My phone buzzed indicating a text had been sent. It was Alison.

You’ve still got it. Word got out that Sierra Leone finally left – A

I smiled and left my work on the grass, picking up my phone to reply.

I admit. I thought she would hang out a bit longer, but apparently not. It’s how you play it Alison. Learn – Alice.

My phone beeped back instantly

I am – A.

I chucked the phone down to pick up my books again. Just as I did I felt the brief brush of eyes on me. I managed to look up just in time to catch a pair of warm brown eyes that were staring at me from a distance. All the way from the other side of the road in the bottom floor of the neighbours house.

The way his eyes brushed mine were so familiar and yet so distant. But so so fami- those eyes. Those eyes were the ones I had always felt I was being watched by.

I slowly leaned down to pick up my phone and text to Alison.

Pop quiz. My front door neighbours. Give me all the information you have – Alice.

My phone beeped instantly back.

The Holbrook family. Both parents are teachers. They have two kids. A girl, Annie Holbrook and a boy who goes to our school: Gabriel Holbrook – A