Chapter 98: Alice The Runner

One side that defends Holbrook like life and another that reminds me of my love and everlasting obsession of Alison. That reminds me that Alison is perfection.

She was all that I ever wanted.

Alison was the only perfect that I ever wanted.

The only perfect thing I created.

The only thing that ever went right in my life.

And then I’m wondering, how long can I brainwash myself into thinking that.

Because it is so obvious she is no longer perfect.

And it’s like I’ve awakened myself.

Like I’ve finally understood a puzzle after spending years trying to put it together without knowing there were missing pieces.

“You could try and kill me, I guess,” Alison laughs like it was an unbelievable thought. “But you wouldn’t kill your only perfection. The only thing that went right in your life. But just remember, your only baggage that I want to get rid of in my life. I used you like a tissue. That’s the only thing you’ll ever be. A used tissue.”

But no.

She wasn’t perfect anymore.

And I stand up from behind the bed and look at Alison’s slightly amused eyes and whisper, “I was wrong. You’re not perfect. No matter how close you are to it. You are not perfect.  I had you but you didn’t want me to have you.  That’s your flaw. Because you’re the slave that has rebelled against her master. That’s why you aren’t perfect.”

“I’m perfect,” Alison laughs dryly, “Just not your definition.”

Alison turns around and faces Holbrook and says, “Oh look, your dear little Alice finally figured out that we were never good for each other. Now the only thing you have to do is watch while I ki-“

Someone cuts her off.

No.

Something cuts her off.

The click of a gun.

The gun that was in my pocket and is now in my hand. I’m breathing no oxygen at all but pure and unadulterated fury.

I catch Holbrook’s pained eyes just for a second and the hope in them is all that I need. I nod back at him, gently.

And as much is pains me, Holbrook was right.

If I couldn’t control Alison, no one could. And with everything that I taught her, she was deadly.

If I couldn’t have Alison, no one could.