Chapter 20: He has the Bullet.

*Flashback Continueed*  

I leaned against the kitchen counter. Gabe had refused to leave after he found out that my parents were gone and I had been alone for two years.

It was 2 am and his eyes were still on me from the side of my vision as he leaned on the wall opposite to the counter.

I didn’t want to look at him but every now and then I made sure he was there with a flick of my eyes. I didn’t want to fall asleep and wake up with police swarming my house. Police searching the house, searching the country for any trace of my parents who I had tried so hard to forget. I would be up on tv screens around the country, and I couldn’t risk such a distraction. I couldn’t risk all my work going to waste.

I could burn this house.

But he was here and I’m not sure if I would get out of this house is he was still here.

My eyes flicked up again and connected with Holbrooks. However, this time his eyelids had slipped half way down and his head was tilted against the wall. His forehead was wrinkled and the skin around his eyes were dark.

He was running out of energy.

Something inside of me reminded me that is was me that was doing that to him. I had said all those horrible things to him and still he was here.

I don’t need anyone.

I don’t think I’ll ever get to tell him I love him.

I picked myself up slowly from the floor, trying very hard not to disturb the peace he had found.

Then I set out to my room.

Once I got there I pulled out my emergency duffel bag from my closet and chucked on my bed and then went back to grab some clothes. I’ll leave. I’ll leave ravenswood once and for all and never come back again. That way, I couldn’t touch Gabe again.

That’s the right thing to do. Isn’t it?

But I knew him. I stopped grabbing my clothes and just stood, turning my self to face the mirror.

I knew him enough to know he’ll come looking for me...and I would let him.

But I couldn’t. I couldn’t drown his life the way mine has been drowned. He had his parents and his sister in a house that was so perfect without me. His parents hated from the beginning. They could tell I was a bad influence. They were smart. But somewhere deep inside I think he knew that too but he decided to cast that aside. For me.

Why couldn’t I just waste away? Why did I have to feel emotions.

I left the duffel bag on my bed and continued on to my wardrobe, pulling aside my clothes to reveal a stack of shoeboxes. I gently pushed the top ones off and settled on the last box.  IT was all black and gloss. Just like the instrument inside.