Chapter 76: A Side Of Alison Please

When I woke up next, it still wasn’t daylight. I had flitted in and out of sleep all night and I only remembered a few things like how Holbrook had whispered in my ear that he “Didn’t plan on sharing,” me.

I don’t know what happened after that. I began to fall into a time of sleep where you are aware of everything else around you. Like, I could feel the neghbourhood album digging into my face. The cool breeze that the open window was letting in. The small voices floating around the room between Holbrook and Wesley.

What.

If I hadn’t lived my whole life of being a creep, I would’ve shot up and attempted to join their conversation. But this time, I just listened instead. Keeping my eyes closed and my breathing rate steady.

It was Holbrook that spoke first.

“I know, that we don’t get along. And it’s no secret that you and I clearly dislike each other. But I wouldn’t ask this of you if I could do this myself. So, I guess I’m asking for your assistance.” Holbrook started.

I wanted to open my eyes so badly, but if I did, it would clearly give me away,

“It must be something quite serious if Gabriel Holbrook is asking for my help,” Wesley replied. I could almost imagine a small smile plastered on his face.

“Well, I don’t know if you know about Alice’s obsession with-“ Gabriel was cut off by Wesley.

“Alison? You think that can go unnoticed?” Wesley replied. “The way Alice is utterly consumed with her every being? I am not oblivious to her condition, Holbrook. What she has with Alison is clearly unhealthy and is indefinitely destroying her. I don’t think I’ve ever gone a day without her talking about Alison. When she does talk or think about her, it looks like she is going insane.”

Holbrooks speaks next with distance in his voice. “So she hasn’t changed.”

It is a statement, not a question.

“I’m assuming you want to do something about Alison? Why now?” Wesley said.

Holbrook laughs a dry broken laugh. “I found her rough location. The only other people that know are Emily, Aria, Hanna and Spencer and they seem to know her exact location. I just know an estimate from interviewing them and my own research.”

My heart is climbing up my throat.

“And you are still here?” Wesley said, surprised.

“It is not as simple as you this Wesley,” Holbrook said. “I’m not sure how it will affect Alice. I know that Alison needs to be gone or Alice won’t have a chance of a normal life.” His voice is laced with distress and I am trying very hard to keep my heart beat normal.

I think I’m cryin in my sleep.

I don’t want Alison gone. I don’t know why. But I don’t.

And what Wesley says next is what makes me want to scream.

“You want me to kill her?” Wesley says.

“I want us to get rid of her,” Holbrook says gently. “Get rid of her from mine, yours and mostly Alice’s life.”

“And do you think that will help, Alice, that is?” Wesley says. “ Alison has been gone from her life for several years but her reaction to her hasn’t weakened, perhaps, gotten stronger. “

“I would like to try,” Holbrook says sadly.

“Perhaps, this is the only thing we agree about,” Wesley says. “I want Alison gone as much as you do. She is the main complication and perhaps, Alice can grow to live without her if she knows that she is dead.”

What is the quickest way to die? Because this slow agonizing one is nothing that I want.

The final  line Wesley says is:

“Did you ask me to help because destroying Alison would involve killing her, and you can’t do that?”

Holbrook laughs gently, “I asked you because I think you are the only other person that cares about her as much as I do. I have no problem killing Alison myself.”

I have to get to her before them.