Chapter 2: The B Team

“Why won’t you just tell me?”  I screamed. I really shouldn’t have. The air was thinning in the room already, the smoke suffocating my airways and burying me in the falling debris.

Alison was quiet.

Her mouth sat in a tight line as she looked behind me at the rising fire smothering the wooden house and shattering the glass window. Her blond hair was singed at the tips, disfiguring her perfect form.

“I don’t know,” she whispered slowly, dragging out every word. Alison was never a good liar. Her eyes spoke legions and everything I had told her had walked past her. Like she was becoming more ignorant and naïve. I taught her better than that.

“Don’t you remember our promise? I would lie, and you would bury our secrets? But it seems like you’ve completely excluded me from whatever torturous mind games you have created!”

She turned to me outraged, “Oh Alice, you should thank me for excluding you from my games. For allowing you leeway into my life, without suffering the consequences.”

“This was not part of our deal,” I growled. “You don’t think I know you! But I know when you want to tie up loose ends and killing her by burning down her and her family in their house, is just asking for unwanted curiosity. You have to know that you were never a good liar, and I don’t understand how you’re still standing here. Hell is down below. Go bury yourself alive.”

There. There was the anger she had directed at everyone else but never at me. And it seemed like I was staring down a barrel of a gun.

What joy.

“I can’t believe you, of all people, would dare to speak to me like that. After all I have done, " She hissed at me.

I laughed a slightly manical laugh. Unhinged.

“You’ve done nothing then make my life misery. I have taught you everything. Taught you everything so you don't use it against me.”

This time, it was Alisons turn to laugh.

"You don't know the half of it, Alice."

And with those words, she pushed me further into the fire. I had tried to stop her of course, but the smoke was too thick, and when I looked back, she was gone.

I woke up some time later. Alison was gone of course. But the girl that Alison had sent on fire was here, sitting next to me, and she had pulled me out.

Cece.

That’s when we formed the B team.