Chapter 44: Words Are Better Than Guns

“You ruined my whole family,” Jason hissed. I heard the car engine start up and the slow creep of the car forward.

“What family did you even have in the first place?” I mumbled from the back. Pain rocketing from my spine and all the way into my skull. I cried out.

“Shut up, you little bitch,” he growled. “If you weren’t born my sister wouldn’t be such a bitch.”

I laughed and then winced, “I made her, Jason. Your so called parents may have given birth to her biologically, but I made her.”

“The thing is Alice. If you die it doesn’t matter. You’ve managed to wipe yourself from the lives of everyone so what difference does it make when your dead?” He said.

I small deep pang hit me right in the chest. In a way, he was right. I had made myself into nothing that if I was gone, no one would care. Cece would move forward and Wesley would follow.

“I thought so,” Jason said. I could here the malicious smirk in his voice. The car engine stopped and he got out of the car to come to my side.

I held onto a breath.

Give it all you got Alice.

As soon as he opened the door I kicked out, hitting his face. Before he had time to recover I got out of the car ignoring the pain that was throbbing at the back of my skull.

Then I was sprinting. Sprinting in what seemed like halls and halls of dark alleways. I could here Jason’s feat gaining up on me and then it stopped all of a sudden.

I was stupid enough to hesitate.

That was enough for him to leap at me, making me fall to the concrete with a head cracking bang. I screamed out in pain as black spots began to appear in my vision.

Jason was on top of me.

That’s all I could see.

Then I was hit with a sharp twang. A silver blade was pressed up against my neck. I could feel it the way Jason held his hands.

“Do you really want to kill me?” I hissed out in pain.

He smiled, “You are the only person I want dead”

The knife dug into my neck. I was shaking. I think I was crying.

“Say another word and I will shoot a bullet right through the skull.”

Only it wasn’t Jason who said that.

It was a man, behind Jason in a pair of black jeans and shirt and holding gun like all he ever learnt to do was hold it.

Holbrook.

“Lover boy comes to the rescue,” Jason said underneath his breath as he slowly peeled himself of me.

I scrambled out from underneath him as Holbrook came to stand in front of me. His whole body tense and protective. Jason was smiling wickedly.

“Doesn’t these seem like old times?” He growled.

Holbrook dry laughed. “Only you didn’t use to be a killer.”

Jason’s face hardened, “You have no evidence Gabriel so just back of slowly and let me finish what will make both our lives much happier.”

I attempted to stand up, wincing all the way as the dizziness started to kick in. Holbrook looked back alerted by my sounds, his eyes soft, “Alice, stay down.”

Jason was laughing, staring past Holbrook at me. “How does it feel, princess? To feel as good as dead?”

I collapsed to the floor, no longer able to keep myself up.

“Alice!” Holbrook said, his voice alert.

“Kill me Holbrook. I want to see another police officer corrupt,” Jason said, his voice drawling on like he was drunk. Which he probably was.

Holbrook turned back to Jason, his face hardened. “Get out. Get out of here now. You lay one finger on her. You are as good as gone.” He threatened. His voice was menacing, ice and calculating.

Jason, knowing he had no chance began to laugh and back away at the same time. “Holbrook, she’s not worth. She’ll never be worth a god damn anything in this world.”

“Like you?” Holbrook replied before Jason growled and then stormed off.

You know the feeling when the only think you can see in front of you is the stars when you never ever saw the roof? The feeling when the blood is pooling out of you and the only thing that doesn’t hurt is you fingertips because they are numb.

Someone was kneeling in front of me.

Holbrook was kneeling in front of me.

Then I blacked out.