Chapter 16: Death At The DoorStep

I threw my keys onto the coffee table as soon as I walked in the door, shaking off my coat straight after. Holden had escorted me out after that last and final statement by Cece Drake and it was a good thing he did. I was slowly losing all my calm.

How dare she ask me to do something for her when she had done nothing for me. How dare she.

I threw my coat against the wall and let it slide down.

This was not going to plan.

The coat lay on the floor, pooling into the wooden floor. I had rented this apartment a year ago when I first started preparing for my move to Rosewood. It let in just enough sunlight without it being too hot, and the wooden walls let the whole room breath. Oh, and there was also that aspect of it being below Ezra’s apartment on the first floor.

Then I proceeded to walk over to the fireplace, grab a log and walk to the bathroom.

“Well,” I kicked open the door. “I didn’t expect to see you here.”

Mrs Grunwald, my gracious grandmother wanted to pay a visit. I threw the log on the floor and watched it clatter. Then turned back around to walk into the lounge room. Mrs Grunwald followed.

“You have five minutes,” I hissed.

Mrs Grunwald walked across the room to sit on a brown leather sofa. I knew that because my eyes were glued to the floor. I didn’t dare look up into her icy blue eyes.

“What a nice way of greeting to your Grandmother to your new home, that you haven’t seen in years,” She said. Her voice unchanging. It was old and aging and slowly withering which made me happy. Hopefully I wouldn’t have to deal with her soon.

“I assume that you don’t have kind words for me, so I have no reason to comfort you with a greeting,” I retorted.

She laughed a sandpaper laugh.

“Alice, I’m afraid for your health.”

I turned to her, “You shouldn’t worry. Rosewood is sufficient with their multiple mental institution.”

“Your mother and father are dead.”