Bonus Content: Family

*Set after the end of the book.

______________________________

Holbrook smothers me in kisses, falters, kisses me again and then walks out the door.

That is his daily schedule.

He needs to make enough money to support all three of us living in this house and he leaves with a smile and comes back with a smile and I think the world knows he is lying because we are surviving on two minute noodles and water.

Annie and I remain at home. I’m too unstable to go to school. I’ll start manipulating people and then someone will end up dead sooner or later and so I stay inside the house and drive myself mad until Gabriel comes home.

Only, he comes home so late.

And no one should be loved so late.

And every time he does come home from his job he tries his best to not show how exhausted he is because he has another two jobs at home awaiting him. He has to be a brother to his sister and a lover to me.

I asked him once, whether I could work. Help him.

He left the dinner table.

He was very upset.

Annie smashed her dinner plate and she got up the next day and decided that she has had enough and walked out of the house and didn’t come back home until she had a job.

She didn’t tell Holbrook.

Her job was to look after me, after all. Not work at the local grocery store.  But since she promised to look after to me to her brother, she takes me and makes me stand in the corner until I want to scream.

One time I did.

Annie looked at me and apologized.

I told her I didn’t need a baby sitter and she told me maybe it was her that needed one.

She needed me, because I was her family.

I never said anything after that.

I guess that was the first time she noticed it.

The shiver that coursed down my spine and brief flicker of panic that sealed shut my veins when she mentioned the word ‘family’.

She works hard though, Annie. She works to support her family and all I want to do is support her and her brother.

But sometimes we stay at home and she stares at me and I can see pin pricks of questions swimming her head and they are all about me.