Chapter 38: Locked Up

He grabbed a chair from another table and sat at the end of the table: in-between Holbrook and me. If Gabe weren’t staring at me I would’ve narrowed my eyes at Wesley suspiciously.

“You know that when I told you about this that it wasn’t an invitation to come?” Ezra said towards Wes, rolling his eyes.

Wesley raised his eyebrows, plucked an apple from his pocket and bit into it. “But I’m here.”

Ezra sighed, “Well, Aria, you know Wesley. For Gabe and Alice, this is my brother, Wesley.”

Wesley stared at me, a small smirk falling upon his lips. “I’m familiar with Alice.”

I gave him a small smile but my eyes were shooting bullets. They were saying, “What are you doing? Are you nuts Wes. Our connections are meant to be kept secret or else we are creating too many links to who we actually are. If Aria or any of the other girls find out then we are doomed. What the hell are you doing?”

He looked like he got everything I was trying to say just by the way he was smirking at me.

The anger was starting to sizzle inside me but I didn’t understand why. Wasn’t I happy that Wes was kind enough to stop the conversation between Gabe and I? Wasn’t Wes supposed to be my reminder that I attempted to kill Holbrook’s sister? That I wasn’t allowed a second chance?

What was I doing?

“You know what,” I said quickly, picking up my purse in the process. “I’m really busy tomorrow with the amount of school homework I have. I think I should get goin-“

Aria interrupted, “Come on Alice. We haven’t even had dinner yet.”

“Come on Alice, Aria is right,” Ezra said.

“Don’t leave on my account Alice,” Wes said. I looked at him and he raised his eyebrows at me playfully. Out of the corner of my eye I could see Holbrooks eyes flick between Wes and I.

He was attempting to make a connection.

No, that could not happen.

“Dinner, then,” I said, slowly sitting back down. The hard rigidity was rocking through my back.  I tried to loosen it. After all, I didn’t want Holbrook to detect that.

Wes was making me on edge.

“So Alice,” Wes spoke.

Oh lord. But he was quickly cut short by Holbrook. I looked at him truly, seeing the hard posture that had formed across his shoulders.

He spoke, “How long have you two known each other.”

“Ugh,” I started to speak.

“A long time, “Wes replied, staring at Holbrook challengingly.

I elevated a brow, “People don’t count in dog years anymore Wes.”

That got a laugh out of both Aria and Ezra. Wes’s face dropped from his pirate smile into a frown for just a moment.

“How do you two actually know each other?” Ezra asked, and I jumped in before Wes could say something stupid.

“Just met at the brew once.”

It wasn’t entirely a lie. I did see him at the brew.

Wes coughed, “More than once.”

I narrowed my eyes at Wes. Ezra recognising the awkwardness and Aria probably turning a slight shade of red from remembering that one time she did kiss Wes, broke the conversation thread once again.

“Anyway, how’s the parentals Alice?”

No.

The temperature dropped a couple of notches in a second.

“There fine,” I said through gritted teeth. I could see Holbrook’s eyes run right through me.

“ Don’t know if I said this before, but mother would really like to see them again. Like very soon. You are in contact with them aren’t you?”

The air was bleeding.

My eyes flicked up briefly towards Holbrook, who’s expression had turned from a slightly relaxed face into cold hard rock. My parents reminded him of who I was. Who he probably hated.

Out of the corner of my eye Wes’s smirk stood planted on his face, but his eyes were obviously in a state of worry. I never told him about them, but iI knew that Cece wasn’t good at keeping secrets.

“Oh, I don’t know, Ezra,” I said, planting a smile on my face. “They are pretty busy with their jobs and-“

“Tomorrow’s No Work Day,” Gabe said. I blinked at him surprised. But I shouldn’t have been surprised. The hard look that had fallen onto his face was still there. That look of utter betrayal.

“Gabe’s right,” Ezra said. “I’ll guess I’ll come by tomorrow.”

What a cruel world this is. My eyes were locked with Gabriel’s and all I could do was watch the anger bubble in them. That’s what happens when you found that your girlfriend had been living by herself for several years. All isolated and alone and –

“Hey, you said you were going to drive me to a soccer game tomorrow.” Wes jumped in.

Ezra looked at Wes confused, “ I don’t think I-“

I stood up abruptly, “I totally forgot.”

Ezra gave me a questiong look.

“I forgot to turn of the oven after making that last batch of choc chip cookies.”

Yup, that was the best I had. I slammed my palm on my forehead and grabbed my purse before anyone could say anything different.

“Thanks for the dinner, got to go, bye,” I hurried out, ditching Aria and moving towards Wes’s black prado. I jumped into the passenger side and locked all the doors. Then I sat there and waited, trying to calm myself down.