Chapter 15: Catch Me If You Can

The room was what the door was. Silver. Cargo containers littered the space in groups and standing in the middle of all that was just who I was looking for.

Cece Drake.

I closed the door and made my way to her.

“So what.”  I said, “You spend your time among metal doors hoping your heart will harden?”

It was not the nicest of greetings but I was over this crap of sincerity.

Cece smiled, her blonde hair mimicking Alison’s. She wore a red coat, typical. Red was her colour after all and It did seem to suit her complexion.

“Nice to see you too,” Cece said, not bothering to even look at me. Apparently, her nails were more interesting than me and I was quickly, so quickly losing my temper.

And so, I lost it.

“Don’t act like you didn’t push Ian of the bell tower. Your goal was to not interrupt Alison and A’s games and what do you go and do? Kill a clue. How the heck are we supposed to keep everything on the down low when everything you do shines bright like a huge beacon yelling, “LOOK AT ME. I’M UP TO SOMETHING”? Don’t treat this like a game. It’s a war. ”

She didn’t even bother looking up. “You seem mad.”

I screamed a slightly hysterical laugh and paced back and forth, “Oh please, I am sick of your shit Cece. It’s an insult to me already that people assume that you taught Alison all her scheming ways. Really? You out of all people? Jenna has more manipulative ability than you could have. I-“

“You can keep speaking but I have no interest.”

I was silent for a few seconds before and looked up from my crazy state. She had stopped looking at her nails and was staring at me.

“What?” The words left my throat.

“I won’t do- I won’t listen to you and I won’t do whatever it is that you want unless you get Holbrook of my back.”

I just stared.

Cece looked straight at me with her calm face waiting for my reply.

“I will do anything you say down to every detail if you get Officer Holbrook of my back,” she repeated.

If I wasn’t in such a state of shock I would have been completely and utterly happy to know that someone would do everything of my bidding.

But this.

This is how I answered.

“I-I have no ties with him anymore. You should’ve known every possibility before you killed off Wilden. You should’ve known that he would be chosen to investigate your disappearance,” I said, my voice falling to an all time low. The initial anger had come and passed so quickly. I imagined so much more fighting than this. Than an agreement.

Cece sighed, “I don’t care whether you have ties with him or not. Get him to give up the investigation and I’ll do word for word what you want.”

I looked off to the nearest shipment container and stared at a bunch of numbers that indicated it was one of million shipments placed by “Alfie’s Trading Shores.”

“You know I can’t. There is no possible way I could get close to him enough to cut every clue off from you.”

“You got close to him before.”

“I threatened to kill his sister,” I whispered.

“But he loved you.”

I turned my head back to Cece and laughed a small dull laugh that didn’t reach my face. “You think love trumps what I did to him? I came here to do the job you didn’t even do. I have no interest in freeing you from your predicament.”

“You can’t work alone,” Cece said. “You and I both know that very well. The A team is a team, The B team can’t just be one person. You don’t have enough information to go forth with your plans. And, if you don’t protect my identity then it’s just going to reveal yours. I have already formed alliances here that would be beneficial to you.”

“What?” I laughed. “Psycho Mona?”

“She’s a great assest,” Cece said, raising her eyebrows.

“For entertainment,” I said, rolling my eyes. “Besides, If were both arrested it wouldn’t do any good. So here’s your role: Get Holbrook out of Rosewood.”

“No,” Cece laughed, her face solid. “Get Officer Holbrook off my back and then we’ll talk details.”