Chapter 23: Liar Liar, Secrets For Hire

I lied to you.

The last thing I saw was nothing. Because I never saw a last thing. I never blacked out the way I had expected myself to. The way I had always learnt that I would.

When your teachings fail you it becomes easier for other things to as well.

Like my lungs.

My heart.

My mind.

But oh, my eyes were wide, wide open.

I was sprawled out on the ground in excruciating pain.

Something had broke. I could feel it. I could feel the blood beneath my fingers as it pooled out. I had ended the same way Wesley had. But he hadn’t ended up in front of the police station.

No, this couldn’t be happening. I would be happy anywhere but here. I needed to get out before someone walked out and spotted me and looked into my non-existent background. I couldn’t spend a majority of my life in the police station. I couldn’t face...Holbrook.

I tried to drag myself up but everything ached. I winced as I tried to move my hand that had been stepped on.

I couldn’t move.

I didn’t know what happened to Wesley and I couldn’t call Cece. If I did and told her the predicament she would do everything in her power to not let anyone save me. I was close to Holbrook and that meant her freedom. Even if I was shattered.

No, No I could move. I just had to do what I did with Wesley. Cut emotion off. Cut pain off. I couldn’t remove the blood from the concrete but I could remove myself from this whole stituation.

I picked myself up, biting back the pain while coming to a stand.

My arm was broken. That was for sure. Everything else was bruised and just ached.

I moved off onto the side of the police station where foliage covered the place. Then I pulled my phone out and dialled a taxi to meet me a couple metres from the station.  I needed to get home as soon as possible and alter the Police cameras as soon as I could.

A few moments later I saw it pull itself over and made my way over to it. Biting back every inch of pain that was making me throb. I had choked back the tears many times but I had never felt this much pain before.

I opened the door and slid in quickly, shutting the door behind me.

“Where to Mis- Wow, are you okay?” The taxi driver, who was middle aged with a balding spot but a soft face said, looking at me from the drivers seat.

I pretended to look at him questioningly and then looked down at my bloody clothes and laughed, “Zombie House party. I’m good.”

He looked at me and then laughed, “Kids these days. Seriously! Just because The Walking Dead is a popular Tv Show doesn’t mean you have to dress up as one. You look more gore than Zombie though.”

“I came from a horror party,” I laughed trying to wince at the pain it caused me, “This is my second party and Jimmy said he’ll get me prepped when I get there. Anyway, can you drop me off at the main town apartments? “

He saluted at me and took the car of the curb, heading into the oncoming traffic.

I examined my hand. At least two bones had broken. Dammit. How was I supposed to erase injuries so open like this? Wesley and I had covered each other head to toe in black (apart from our faces) and that was the best we could do to cover up our identity. But injuries were obvious. Especially if I stepped into school tomorrow with them.

The car jerked to a stop and I pulled out the emergency money from my bra with my good hand. I shoved the wad of cash into his hands and jumped out in front of the towns main apartment. This was a risk. Choosing to reveal my location to the Taxi driver wasn’t smart. If I had been in a healthy state I would’ve asked him to drop me a couple of blocks before hand, but time wasn’t on my side.

I slid in my key card and made my way to my room, walking as normally as I could and not drawing attention to the tears of pain falling from my eyes.

Dammit. Dammit. Dammit!

I opened my door, slid in, closed it, and then walked over towards the fireplace. I pulled the left candle down three times and the right one once and watched as the fireplace door swung open to reveal a technological heaven.

Then I slipped in.

The whining of machinery surrounded me as I headed over to the main computer, taking a seat and automatically getting to work. To erase the evidence of my fall would take longer with my left hand being injured. Instead of the usual minute, it would take at least three.

Catastrophic.

I had already wasted minutes from the taxi ride and the pain I was trying so hard to ignore was bumping around in my head, making me see spots.

Now I had to do what I needed to do.

I hacked into the RPD’s security system in seconds. That wasn’t the hard part. The hard part was not erasing the evidence, but replacing the evidence with something less significant then me plummeting from a roof.

I winced as I watched the tape on Camera 652. I should’ve accumulated more injuries. I was lucky I landed the way I did.

Was Wesley that lucky?

No, I couldn’t think about him. I had to override the system without it being aware that I was doing exactly that. I couldn’t shut down or erase the camera’s files. That would lead to an investigation.

I had to replace it.

I watched myself as I lowered another secret into my grave and filled the hole up with lies.

Secrets and Lies work perfectly in time.