Chapter 55: Who Did I Bury?

Bonnie's P.O.V.

     Do I really need to let him go? I mean everyone’s telling me to, and I know deep down that I should, but I can’t. I can’t, because what if he changes his mind?

     I know he probably won’t, but I need something to hold onto so badly right now. I need to hold onto hope.

     "I can't! I just can't let him go, okay?!"

     "Listen, I didn't care at first. That was your choice. But now it started to affect me too. You're always with your thoughts lately. You never pay attention to me.", Will explained to me.

     "That's not true, I..."

     "Yeah, it is.", he cut me off. "Listen...I know how hard it seems to be without him, and I know how awful it is to let him go. He was your home, your soulmate.", he said. "But sometimes, you need to evacuate when the fire alarm goes on, you need to leave your home or else you'll die burning.", one tear slipped down my cheek. "Don’t you claim that you love him? If you really do, let him go, let him be. I know it’s difficult to believe that you won’t ever again be present in his life, but sometimes love means letting go. Are you in love with him, or do you love him?", he asked me.

     "I love him.", I muttered.

     "But you don't act like it. You act like you're in love with him and if you are then you will need him, however, if you really love him, you will set him free.", maybe he's right. "Sometimes love means letting the other person be and live the way he desires.", he said. "And if you two are meant to be, he will know his way back to you. Until time shows you what’s meant to be and what’s not, let him go. He’s not yours and you are not his. You don’t own each other because love is freedom, happiness, and kindness.", he explained. "Everything is happening for a reason, you will soon see."

     "How did you lose her?", I asked suddenly and he looked at me confused.

     I know something happened to him as soon as he told me all this, because nobody could explain it like this, if they've never been in the same situation.

     "What?", he laughed nervously.

     "I know you lost somebody. So how...", he cut me off.

     "I didn’t.", he said with a bittersweet smile. "I didn’t lose her, because she was never mine. She almost was, but somehow she wasn’t.", he takes a deep breath. "She could’ve loved me, you know. And I did love hher, I think, as best as you can love someone who isn’t yours. But that was all a ‘could’ve’, not a ‘did’. And God, does that hurt.", he murmurs as he blows out a breath. "If she had been mine, at least I would’ve gotten some clarity out of it, but she wasn’t. She wasn’t, so all I can think about is that she could’ve. That she almost was."

     "You've been in similar situation as me, so you should understand me, not telling me to let him go.", I said to him. "I know I have to realize he's never coming back. He was my first, my first at so many things. But the one thing I will always remember, is that he was my first 'True Love'. I did things not thinking of the outcome, and now I'm all alone.", I started crying more and more. "I just can't let him go. I just don't know anymore! All I know is that I love him. And for that reason I can't let him go."

     "You know what? Maybe you're right. And now? Now, I'm letting you go.", I looked at him with shock.

     "What?", I was confused.

     "Go home and fight for him. Search for an explanation. And then when you get your answer you can come back here with me in Spain, if you want. You know I said I'll always wait for you and I meant it.", I hugged him tightly and then started to pack my things.

     I'm coming home.

Sam's P.O.V.

     I decided to visit Elena's grave again. This time, I fell to my knees, feeling my tears traveling down as I said.

     "Elena, I hope you forgive me for what I did. I wasn't strong enough to finish what I started. Stupid little crush on Bonnie stopped me. But I promise you, this time it won't. I will revenge you and my father. I can promise you that.", I sat there a bit longer, until I had no more tears to unleash.

     "Maybe in some other galaxy we ended up together. Maybe in some other galaxy we're happy.", I said and then left.

     As I was walking through city, I stopped at one of the shop windows. I saw her, with him, on TV. But how's this possible?

     "You're alive?", my heart started pounding.

     But if she's alive, who did I bury then?