Chapter 60: One Big Lie

Caroline's P.O.V.

     I walked in my bedroom, kicking off my shoes. I grabbed my half-finished glass of water off the counter and taking off my dress, humming under my breath. I was just about to start undressing when I was interrupted by the sound of someone clearing their throat.

     At first I thought it was Matt, but then I realized that wasn't him so I grabbed a scissors. A tall man in a gray shirt and jeans was standing by my window. He was turned away from me, as if he was trying to give me my privacy, but I could see the outline of his short hair and strong jawline silhouetted in the light from the outside.

     "Who are you and how did you get in my bedroom?", I asked, my tone low and threatening.

     When the man didn't move, I edged closer and gripped my scissors tighter, repeating myself.

     Slowly, he turned around with his hands in the air. I gasped and dropped the scissors. I'd know those eyes anywhere.

     "D...Dean?"

     "Hey, Caroline.", he murmured.

     For a split-second I almost leaped into his arms, I was so happy to see him. Then, I remembered that he left me, and I went from happy to furious.

     Bending down, I carefully picked scissors up from the carpet, all the while watching the older Winchester.

     Backing away a few steps, I asked. "What are you doing here?", his eyes remained soft, yet I could tell he was struggling to stay composed.

     "I need to talk to you.", Dean pleaded, he reached for my arm, and I jerked it away.

     "Can you please put the scissors down, Caroline?"

     "Fine.", I snapped, putting scissors down on the nearby dresser. "Why did you come back?"

     "I made a mistake.", he replied, anxiously running his fingers through his hair. "I missed you and your crazy family.", Dean chuckled, but it wasn't a happy sound.

     I felt a pang in my chest. The way Dean was looking at me was as if I was his last hope, and it took all my willpower not to hug him.

     "That still doesn't explain why you're in my bedroom.", I kept my tone hard, hoping he would get the hint.

     Dean sighed and walked to my bed. He sat down on the white bedspread, his face in his hands. "Look, Caroline. What we had was...", he paused, searching for the right word. "...great. It was fantastic, and I was a fool to not realize that. I did some things that weren't right and I'm sorry.", Dean looked up at me, his eyes sad and full of regret.

     "You can't change what you did now, Dean.", I said, crossing my arms across my chest.

     "I know that.", he replied.

     "So then why are you really here? I don't need an apology."

     "Do you know how hard it's been for me, knowing that you probably found someone else who you can love? I can't find someone like that, Caroline. I can't unlove you. I loved you more than anything. I still do. I love everything about you.", Dean gestured up and down my body with one hand. "Your personality, the way you walk, the way you close your eyes when you listen to your favorite music, the way your hair blows in the wind and I don't even care, the way...", Dean stammered and then shrugged, at a loss for words. "Everything about you, I love."

     "You can't just come back and say that. I have a fiance now and future.", I said. "You hurt me, remember? Since I was the one who loved you no matter what, and you're the one who left. So don't fucking dare to pretend you're the victim of a love crime here, because you aren't. I am."

Dean's P.O.V.

     I couldn't do this anymore. I stood up from the bed and stood there in front of her. "You still hate me?", she gives me a skeptical look.

     "Of course not.", she looks into my eyes with those beautiful blue of hers, the ones no one had ever bothered to notice except me.

     "Then why are you so cruel to me?", I whispered.

     "I'm not saying I hate you, Dean. I'm saying that if the opportunity to erase you from my memories existed, I would not hesitate to do so.", that words broke my heart into milion tiny pieces. "Now please, go.", she added.

Damon's P.O.V.

     "Tell me about her.", she said.

     "About who?"

     "Your first love, of course.", she laughed while sitting up, waiting for me to elaborate on the subject. "At least what can you remember so far?"

     "There isn't much to tell, because I can't remember it, honestly.", I sighed. "Oh yeah, she liked the stars, a lot actually...I remember one time there was this thing that was happening in space which apparently only happened every couple hundred years that made the stars different or something, I don't know. I wasn't that into it, but of course I led with her at around midnight in add an incredibly cold night, in our back garden on the just watching the stars. I honestly didn't understand why she loved them so much but I remember looking over at her once and man, someone has never looked so infatuated with anything the way she looked that night."

     "And w...", she started, but my mother burst in interrupting her.

     "What is this? What is going on in here?", she started to yell.

     "Mother, calm down. I just needed to talk to someone, that's it.", I told her.

     "Are you crazy? What would people say if they found out that therapist is coming to our castle?", she said.

     "I don't care what would they say, I just need to remember her. Not just her, but that whole damn year.", I explained to her.

     "Oh, you wanna remember her? Okay, fine. I will tell you what kind of person she was.", she crossed her arms. "She used to tell you she loved you, but I do not think she ever meant it. I think she said it to remind herself that is how she should be feeling, and when she realised that she did not, that was when she finally left."

     "No, that can't be true.", I shook my head.

     "Of course it is, my dear. As soon as she found out you lost your memories, she ran away.", she said. "You know why? Because your marriage was not even real, it was one big lie. You wanted to get revenge on me, that is why you married her in the first place."

A/N

See you in the next one! I can't believe I have almost 36k reads. Thank you so much<3