Chapter 56: She's Getting Married

Matt's P.O.V.

     It had been a very long day, Caroline and I decided to watch a movie tonight. Laying next to Caroline, I could hear her breaths deepen as she slipped further into her own little dream world.

     I, on the other had, were still wide awake but thought it best to let Caroline sleep, besides, she had a tight grip around my stomach and her head buried in the back of my neck so it wasn’t like I was going anywhere.

     This was different than any other relationship I had, I loved Caroline's company and the way she make me feel, I loved that she was all mine, no one else’s, unlike my ex who had been cheating on me with two other guys.

     That had stung, and it was Caroline who had picked up the pieces of my broken heart.

     I was halfway through the movie when I heard Caroline mumble in her sleep. I scooted back, straining to listen.

     "Mmmhf.", she groaned, her breathing picking up.

     "Caroline?", I whispered, shifting my weight slightly to try and look at her.

     Her arms tightened around my waist as she pulled me closer. "Mmmh, Dean...", she sighed nudging my neck.

     My heart was pounding in my chest as I lay wide eyed.

     Dean? As in her first love-Dean? Love-of-his-life Dean? Not-me Dean?

   Did Caroline always dream about Dean? How many times did she mutter his name in her sleep?

     Gingerly I tried to untangle myself from Caroline, I felt uncomfortable with her arms wrapped so tightly around me.

     Did she think I was Dean? Did she wish I was Dean?

     Moving her hands away from my stomach I rolled away from her, pausing when I heard her start to stir. Caroline took a deep breath before she flipped on her back, reaching to my side of the bed and pulling me again. I cursed internally. Stuck again.

     "I missed you.", Caroline mumbled again.

  I couldn’t breath and I squeezed my eyes shut. I waited for a few seconds before I decided to move again.

     I had just made it off the bed when I heard Caroline groan.

     "Matt?", she questioned in a sleepy voice, hands coming up to wipe the sleep from her eyes. "What are you doing?"

     "Uh...getting a drink.", I whispered as I walked to the door.

     "Oh, I’ll come with you..."

     "T...that’s okay, go back to sleep."

     "I don’t mind..."

     "Caroline, I just need to be alone.", I watched as Caroline sat up.

     "Matt, what’s wrong?"

     "What? Nothing.", she knew I was lying.

     Standing up Caroline made her way over to me, arms reaching out to pull me into hug.

     Did she do this to Dean when he was up late too?

     It was an accident, I wasn't really thinking about what I was doing, it just happened. I flinched away from Caroline.

     "Matt? What is it? What’s wrong? Did you have a nightmare?", she questioned, letting her hands fall to her sides.

     "Caroline, you mumbled name 'Dean' in your sleep.", I admitted as I pulled open the door and made my way down the stairs and then to the kitchen, Caroline following right behind me.